Author Topic: Marriage Joseph Dawson and Ann Ion  (Read 1554 times)

Offline recorder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage Joseph Dawson and Ann Ion
« on: Wednesday 14 November 18 21:04 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to discover when JD and AI married. Can anyone help me please. JD was a stationer in Stricklandgate Kendal around 1850 but I know nothing about AI other than her death in 1856. JD died 1858. The family are on the 1851 census. Any help will be welcome.

Recorder

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Joseph Dawson and Ann Ion
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 21:16 GMT (UK) »
On that 1851 census, Joseph was 50 and born in Newcastle On Tyne and Ann was 52 and born in Northumberland.

So any marriage was likely in Northumberland, and almost  certainly before Civil Registration?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 November 18 02:53 GMT (UK) »
Can't help with a marriage yet, but in case you haven't seen it there is this advertisement in 1832:

"T Richardson, Bookseller, Stationer, Letter Press Printer and Bookbinder, Kendal,
Returns his grateful acknowledgments to his Friends and the Public for the favours conferred upon him, and respectfully announces that he has admitted JOSEPH DAWSON and CHRISTOPHER AIREY, as Partners in the above Business, by whom it will in future be conducted, under the firm of T. Richardson and Co. ..."

Westmorland Gazette, Saturday, January 14, 1832

There is also death notices for Joseph and his wife I could transcribe if you haven't seen them.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 November 18 03:01 GMT (UK) »
Also for interest:

"Clerk to the Court of Requests - We understand that, on Monday last, the Commissioners of the Court of Requests in this town, appointed Mr, Joseph Dawson, bookseller, to be clerk pro temp. in the room of the late Mr. Atherton."

Westmorland Gazette, Saturday, September 16, 1837

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 November 18 03:07 GMT (UK) »
Marriage notice:

"At Kirkham, near Preston, on the 29th ult. Mr Joseph Dawson, printer to Miss Ann Ion, both of Kendal."

Lancaster Gazetter, Saturday, January 8, 1831

Offline recorder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 November 18 17:11 GMT (UK) »
To KGarrad and Maddys52     Many thanks for your replies; your thoughts are much appreciated.

Maddy - All very useful snippets. The death notices for JD and AD would be much appreciated. I wonder how they came to be married at Kirkham? The notice by Mr Richardson is very interesting, Trading as Richardson explains why I had difficulty finding JD. Any idea what that Court of Requests is all about?

PS Maddy - I did a post a few weeks back about Mary Ann Wilson and her son James Wilson. James' father was JD so he must have been in the Kendal area in 1822. JW was born in the Kendal Poorhouse.. I have records of his birth but do you know, by chance, if there are any records of admissions and departures: Again, thanks for your endeavours on  my behalf. Peter.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 November 18 03:14 GMT (UK) »
No problem  :)

"On Wednesday last, after a protracted illness, Ann, the wife of Mr. Joseph Dawson, of this town, bookseller and stationer, in the 58th year of her age."

Westmorland Gazette, Saturday, July 19, 1856

"On Thursday, the 16th instant, in Stricklandgate, Mr Joseph Dawson, stationer, &c., aged 58 years."

Westmorland Gazette, Saturday, December 18, 1858

Here is also an advertisement from 1836 when Richardson retired and Joseph took over the business.

According to wikipedia and Encyclopaedia Brittanica, the Court of Requests was a small claims Court (to deal with small debts), abolished in 1846.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 November 18 03:44 GMT (UK) »
In the 1851 census there is Isabella ATHERTON (sister in law) with the DAWSONs, I'm assuming she is Isabella ION who married John ATHERTON 16 Nov 1814 at Orton, Westmorland.

I have to go out now, but will do some more research later tonight.  ;)