Author Topic: Birth help please BURCH, Agnes Maud 1 Feb 1887  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Gaye

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Birth help please BURCH, Agnes Maud 1 Feb 1887
« on: Wednesday 14 November 18 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Would very much appreciate BMD search for :

BURCH, Agnes Maud 1 Feb 1887
Parents : Joseph William Burch and Maria Mitchell nee Tansley

Agnes Maud married in New Zealand 1909 and died 1961

If possible would love copy of Census for this family 1891 and 1901

Thanks in advance
Gaye Strand
Bassano: (ALL areas)
Drake: London, Essex, Kent
Hawkins: Shoreditch, Hackney, Essex
Meaney: Co Cork - London
Morrison: Scotland-Canada-New Zealand

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Birth help please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I will ask a moderator to move your request over to the main Australia board where it will likely catch the eyes of many of the regulars.

In the meantime,  I will guess your lass was born in NSW, and you have already searched the NSW BDM online indexes and not found Agnes? 

If so, I can see possible siblings for her, including Susan born in 1882, birth registered in the Narrandera district of NSW and through quite a few to Robert, born in 1895 with birth registered in the Cooma district of NSW.   

May I ask which document that you already hold gives you the year of her birth and her parents names including her mum's nee name?   If you were to consider an official transcription of say Robert's NSW Birth registration, it should give you the names and ages of all his older living siblings, and the gender of any who had succumbed before his birth.  It should also give you details about his parents including when/where married and where they were from.  And it should give you information about Robert himself including the address where he was born.   So that is quite a deal of information just from one document. 

https://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history-research/family-history-search.aspx

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 23:32 GMT (UK) »

Are you referring to UK, as we don’t have those censuses here?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 23:40 GMT (UK) »
I think it is the colony of NSW  :)

Ancestry has uploaded some summary household documents that guided the NSW census collectors in 1891 and 1901 ... so not a census record as in UK type.  The NSW archives has partnership arrangements with several commercial family history websites.

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/census-musters-guide?searchterm=musters%20census

NSW 1891
Joseph W BURCH in Massie St Cooma,  6 males, 5 females, none as Aboriginal or Chinese

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Joseph’s death and will notices, 4th and 2nd last columns:

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article99025397

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article15781530

Jamjar

Added:

Marriage:

1027/1874 BURCH JOSEPH W to TANSLEY MARIA M SYDNEY

Deaths:

5525/1918 BURCH Joseph W father JOHN PETERSHAM

9955/1943 BURCH Maria Mitchell THOMAS and FLORENCE KATOOMBA

Burial:

South Head Cemetery General Section O Row 6 Grave 393
BURCH, Joseph William 01 Jun 1918 69 - Inscription: My husb

Arrival to NSW:

TANSLEY Maria 21 Canning 1873 Sydney Reel 2140, [4/4799] Page 62; Reel 2486, [4/4998] - she was a housemaid from Donegal Ireland, C of E and could read and write. The CANNING departed London 2 October 1872 and arrived Sydney 8 February 1873.
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 November 18 00:03 GMT (UK) »
The children:

1875 Frances Maria

1877 Alice Annie - died 1943 AUBURN - married 1904 REES William

1880 Arthur - possibly killed in action 14 May 1917, buried France - Wife Elizabeth Maria HUGHES (possible death 1962)
Military record: https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=3166788
News of his death, 1st column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article239370414

1882 Susan E

1884 Joseph William - died 1953 BOOLAROO - married 1909 PICKLES Alice Maude (died 1966)
His funeral notice, 3rd column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article18361420

1889 John - died 1957 GOULBURN - married 1919 HILLE Clara May (died 1976)
BURCH John Death notice 10-5-1957 Publication late of Goulburn Goulburn Post 10-5-1957   
BURCH Clara May Death notice 18-3-1976 Death 86 late of Goulburn Goulburn Post   19-3-1976   

1891 Thomas - died 1891 COOMA

1892 Florence M -died 1965 -married 1911 OTTEY Ernest Vincent (died 1958)
OTTEY Florence May Death notice 20-2-1965 Death 72 at Bowral Sydney Morning Herald 22-2-1965   
First page, 3rd and 2nd last columns: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=lL5f5cZgq8MC&dat=19650223&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
OTTEY Ernest Vincent Death notice 27-10-1958 Death at District Hospital, Bowral, late of Mount Victoria Sydney Morning Herald 28-10-1958
First page, 2nd and 5th columns: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=lL5f5cZgq8MC&dat=19581029&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

1895 Thomas Walter - died 1949 COOTAMUNDRA - married 1927 GARLAND Ruby May
Probate notice, first Legal Notice column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article18149477

1898 Robert Henry - died 1955 - married 1939 GOW Marie Madeline (died 1983)

This doesn’t tally with the 1891 information provided my JM, as we only have 7 children born before 1891, 8 if we count the missing Agnes. So based on the recorded births, that would give us 5 females, if we include Agnes and 5 males.

Jamjar

Joseph W BURCH in Massie St Cooma,  6 males, 5 females

Added: Silly me, I'm now thinking their total includes mother and father. That would give us 5 females, if we include Agnes and 5 males. So, we are still one male short.

I've checked QLD and VIC and no births to the couple there.

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 November 18 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gaye, Try BMD NZ , free site in New Zealand they have births for 1909 and once you have her married surname you will find her death on the same site.  ALSO New Zealand has a free site "Papers Past" and ancestry.com.au has extensive Electoral Rolls.  Remember as NZ was the first country worldwide to allow women to vote you may find her in early NZ Electoral Rolls.
If you have a problem please get back to me.
Regards
clancam37
Would very much appreciate BMD search for :

BURCH, Agnes Maud 1 Feb 1887
Parents : Joseph William Burch and Maria Mitchell nee Tansley

Agnes Maud married in New Zealand 1909 and died 1961

Thanks in advance
Gaye Strand

Offline Gaye

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 November 18 02:04 GMT (UK) »
 ;D

Excellent all helpful responses

I do have her death/other siblings info - just wanted to get her birth confirmed
the date given is from her death data - I have her parents info as well

It was the NSW census I was after - thanks so much for that

:-*
Bassano: (ALL areas)
Drake: London, Essex, Kent
Hawkins: Shoreditch, Hackney, Essex
Meaney: Co Cork - London
Morrison: Scotland-Canada-New Zealand

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 November 18 02:48 GMT (UK) »
It's a shame we can't find her birth. You may just have to contact NSWBDM.

I've been enjoying searching for the family bits, even though you have them.  ;D I've been adding to post #5.

Are you able to tell me who Frances Maria and Susan married?

Also, do you have an arrival for Joseph William?

Jamjar