Author Topic: William Higman Avery born 1803 Portsea Island  (Read 1028 times)

Offline startt

• RootsChat Member
  • James Lyon GGG 1790-1858
    • View Profile
William Higman Avery born 1803 Portsea Island
« on: Thursday 15 November 18 12:27 GMT (UK) »
William Higman Avery born 1803 married Sarah about 1828 Portsea island. Three children William Phillip 1829 -1831. Emma Matilda 1831-xxxx. John Willis 1833-xxxx. In 1841 it appears Emma & John are in the Portsea Island Workhouse. There is no trace of the parents in 1841 or 1851. The children are all on Family Search. Emma Matilda marries a Whittle and is in 1901 at 55 Ash Street, Wolverhampton a widow. Any help appreciated as to the location of William and Sarah.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Higman Avery born 1803 Portsea Island
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 November 18 12:45 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage - 5 January 1829 - St Thomas, Portsmouth - William Avery, bachelor, Royal Marines and Sarah Gamble, spinster.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline startt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 November 18 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for discovring the marriage. Given his occupation it would be possible they both went overseas.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 November 18 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I've been looking at various things, and I'm totally confused (possibly not difficult  :-[ )

I've just found an image of a marriage Portsea for Jane Higman Avery (full age) to Thomas Phillips - 19 December 1840.  Jane says that her father is William Avery, Painter.  One of the witnesses is Emma Matilda Avery.

Bearing in mind that we have Emma Matilda being born in 1831 - does this mean that we have two candidates for Emma Matilda, as I cannot believe that this is the signature of a 9 year old?

Added:  found her - daughter of William (Painter of The Ropewalk) and Jane Avery - born 21 February 1822.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline startt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 November 18 19:18 GMT (UK) »
The witness Emma Matilda Avery is his youngest sister, christened at St Mary in 1821. St Mary appears to be the Church they attended going back another two generations.
Linda and Tony Knight at www.knightroots.co.UK have covered a lot of information on BMD. Except what I was looking for!
From her signature the family would appear to have covered writing, so are in a better social class than I supposed as the Island was said to be a very unattractive area.