Author Topic: The Mead School Tunbridge Wells  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Mead School Tunbridge Wells
« on: Thursday 15 November 18 13:18 GMT (UK) »
 In 1987 Angela Culley purchased a run down building at 16 Frant Road and began The Mead School at that location and continued as the head of the school until she retired in 2017.

She had purchased the building from Robin Dence, a former teacher of Skippers Hill Manor Prep School in Mayfield Sussex. Angela and Robin knew one another from the time they both taught at Skippers school. Angela started there in 1975 and left in 1980. Robin started there about 1978 and by 1983 was living in Tunbridge Wells at 1 Linden Park Road, the former residence of his parents and grandparents. At 1 Linden Park Robin tried unsuccessfully to establish a school there and thus bought the building at 16 Frant Road for that purpose but was unsuccessful there two. While Robin owned 16 Frant Road a former teacher friend of his from Skippers School by the name of Noel ( an ex-navy man) did some maintenance work on the building at 16 Frant Road.

The history of The Mead School goes back even further in time when a Miss Lewis ( Lilian Frances Elizabeth Lewis (1904-1987)) started a school at her home on Linden Park Gardens referred to in school photos as the "Old Mead School". Miss Lewis and Robin Dence got to know one another and it appears that it was Robins intention to take over the school from her but she sold her home to developers.

I would like to hear from anyone who attended the Mead School particularly anyone who has any information on Noel as I have not been able to trace him. Also interested in hearing your experiences as a pupil or teacher at the Mead School during the time of Miss Lewis. I have seen a few group photos showing Miss Lewis and her pupils from about 1975. I want to find out what the address of the school was on Linden Park Road and  in what years Miss Lewis ran the school there.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Offline goingback

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: The Mead School Tunbridge Wells
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi!

Noel Percy Doxford was teaching at the Mead school from about 1983 at the Linden Gardens bungalow, then at the Frant Road address until about 1986-87 by which time almost all of the pupils has left (Down to about 6 pupils) and the school either needed to be rescued or closed.

Mr Doxford was introduced to the school by Mr Dense who was totally mad, had appalling anger issues and would have bee more suited to being in the cast of Father Ted than being a teacher.

Mr Doxford often smoked a pipe inside (Yes Inside) in the classroom .
He had Malaria and used to turn REALLY yellow sometimes which we thought was hilarious though at the same time we avoided him as we thought it was catching.

The Malaria was apparently caught while serving in a jungle somewhere while he was a Ghurka. (Though he clearly was not Nepalese). We knew he came from up North somewhere as he has some king of Yorkshire accent.

He has a treasured possession which was a small china / ceramic chick hatching from an egg (Size of a thimble). He used to pass this round a primary school class which was surprising as I'm not sure why he thought we'd be interested - or why it would not get broken.

His handy work was pretty poor and the car port (1984) fell down as soon as it snowed and the breeze block wall constructed on the then playground at the Frant Rd site looked terrible - even to primary school kids. It must have gone by now.

As far as we know he was always single though there was a hint / rumour of some major bereavement (Possibley a fire?). Of course no one ever asked further.

Reasonably pleasant teacher and we all loved his Art, Computer and swimming classes - He did try his best though to be honest I'm not sure if he ever had any qualifications / training to be a teacher.

A quick google shows he died on 19 Mar 2008 at an address in Sale, Cheshire.

Offline jonorth

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: The Mead School Tunbridge Wells
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 November 23 11:23 GMT (UK) »
I and my brother attended the old Mead School in Linden Gardens in 1963. I still remember Miss Lewis and her staff. I have a school photo from that time if anyone is interested