Author Topic: Robert Sheridan MM  (Read 406 times)

Offline davieboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Sheridan MM
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 November 18 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Link to trench map/present day image:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=14&lat=50.8374&lon=2.9093&layers=101464903&right=BingHyb

The cemetery in which he lies is in square 16, on the present day image look north of Zillebeke where the road is marked Maaldestedestraat.  The cemetery is immediately to the east of the letter M.  He was originally buried in the top left corner of square 32 on the west bank of the canal on the letter N of the trench map.
Ypres is to the top left of the map.

To add to my earlier post, his comrades had also added the letters MA after his name which presumably was related to his academic accomplishments at Glasgow University.

MaxD

I saw the "MA" too which was surprising as he was a L/Cpl. I wouldve expected someone with a Masters level degree (Robert Sheridan was a teacher prior to the war) wouldve been given a commission on joining up.
Ramsay, Struthers, Stark (Avondale, Lanarkshire) Haughey, Martin (Ballyrashane) Neely, Fraser (Londonderry) Hill (Anderston, Glasgow), Cranstoun, Carruthers (Dumfries) MacIndoe (Springburn & Bridgeton, Glasgow) McKay (Springburn, Glasgow) Fraser (Paisley)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Sheridan MM
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 November 18 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Who knows, many preferred to be among the men.
Glad to have helped.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia