Author Topic: Looking for details on my grandad  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for details on my grandad
« Reply #18 on: Friday 16 November 18 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Free search on familysearch:

1911 - Llanfair is Gaer, Port Dinorwic

Mary Ann Jones   47    Marr.       born Bangor
Ivor Jones 18                             born Llanrieg
Hugh Jones 14                           born Bangor
Annie Jones  10                              ditto

Got to go out now but perhaps someone else can find them on 1901 census with hopefully the father.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lisa Knight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 16 November 18 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Free search on familysearch:

1911 - Llanfair is Gaer, Port Dinorwic

Mary Ann Jones   47    Marr.       born Bangor
Ivor Jones 18                             born Llanrieg
Hugh Jones 14                           born Bangor
Annie Jones  10                              ditto

Got to go out now but perhaps someone else can find them on 1901 census with hopefully the father.

Annette
Thankyou for all your help i have plenty to be getting on with now

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 16 November 18 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Rightie hoo, I reckon it’s this family, as it has a brother IVOR and sister ANNIE. Also a brother Richard. What I can’t get is them all with the same mmn. I thought ROBERTS, but the only birth for Hugh has a Dec quarter.

JONES, HUGH  GLYN mmn ROBERTS
GRO Reference: 1897  D Quarter in CONWAY  Volume 11B  Page 425

1901:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X9BC-9HV

1911:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7VF-TGJ

There isn’t a lot to choose from with areas close to Conwy and Bangor is the nearest.

Jamjar

Added: I see Annette thinks so, also.  ;D

1891: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:4PYL-12M
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 16 November 18 12:05 GMT (UK) »
I did a search on FreeBMD for William Owen Jones and Mary Ann Roberts and there were no hits.

Now this is what I had thought was the correct mmn for Hugh:

Marriages Jun 1890 Bangor    11b 804
JONES William Owen
WILLIAMS Mary Ann

JONES, HUGH mmn WILLIAMS
GRO Reference: 1897  M Quarter in BANGOR  Volume 11B  Page 447

JONES, HUGH  GEORGE mmn WILLIAMS
GRO Reference: 1897  M Quarter in BANGOR  Volume 11B  Page 458

JONES, IVOR mmn WILLIAMS
GRO Reference: 1893  J Quarter in CARNARVON  Volume 11B  Page 449

There are several choices for Annie.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 16 November 18 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Having flicked through the thread I'm assuming that we are satisfied we looking at Hugh Jones, Old Station, Port Dinorwic, parents Mary Ann Jones/William O Jones.

On that basis. His father William O Jones was a Chief Engineer of a steamship called 'Clwyd' and perished when she sank after a collision in the Irish Sea in Dec 1917.

See column 3 under Portdinorwic
https://newspapers.library.wales/view/4245756/4245760

Here's a welsh language news report of the collision (right hand column), followed by a quick translation
https://newspapers.library.wales/view/4016360/4016364/23/
"On Monday the remains of Mr William O Jones, The Station were bought home for burial. He died on a small boat off Douglas, Isle of Man. It appears that his ship was in a collision with another and sank. The crew went into a lifeboat and they were at sea for a while before being rescued. He was about 50 years old and leaves a wife, daughter and three sons to mourn him. He was buried at Llanddeiniolen on Wednesday morning."

See also column 2 under Portdinorwic
https://newspapers.library.wales/view/4244124/4244130/62/jones%20AND%20skerries%20AND%20barrow

There might be more, esp about death of William Owen. Here's the main page
https://newspapers.library.wales/

Other snippets I have picked up in a newspaper that is not on the online site:
Hugh Jones
Pte Hughie Jones, youngest son of Mr and Mrs R Jones, Old Station House, has been lying seriously ill in hospital in Norwich for many weeks. We understand that he is now a little better. (Caernarfon & Denbigh Herald 19/10/1917)

Richard Jones
Whilst on a voyage to Australia the steamer Ballarat was torpedoed by a German submarine. Mr Richard Jones, eldest son of Mr and Mrs William O Jones, Old Station was a wireless operator on board the ill fated vessel. We are glad to learn that he is safe. (Caernarfon & Denbigh Herald 11/5/1917)
Ballarat, 11,120grt, defensively-armed, 25 April 1917, 24 miles S by W from Wolf Rock, torpedoed without warning and sunk by submarine
(Website usually indicates if there was a loss of life.)

Following on from the info re death of William Owen Jones. He was buried, aged 47yrs, in the parish churchyard of the adjoining parish namely Llanddeiniolen on Dec 26 1917 (Register is on FindMyPast) Mary Ann Jones is in the register buried 8th March 1922 aged 58yrs. I have both MI books for that churchyard. I cannot see an entry for either under full name or by address.

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 16 November 18 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Regarding Hugh Jones as Pte 201612 RWF whose Silver War Badge (see link below) you have.

Regimental numbering is quite complex and evolved as the war went on. I'm therefore not going to fully explain the full ins and outs. Ditto enlistment/conscription.

This number is from the 4th Battalion, Territorial Force, RWF numbering sequence. Although his Silver War Badge (SWB) entry (referred to elsewhere in the thread) states he enlisted 11 12 1915 this was in fact when he voluntarily attested under the Derby scheme. He was not actually called up until around the first week of March 1916. The training unit for the 4th Bn was the 3rd 4thBn so he'd have initially gone to them. As stated his  SWB Roll entry states no overseas entry. Given the newspaper article re being in hospital in Norwich then it is my opinion that, following training, he has gone to 2nd 4th Bn which was stationed in East Anglia (for defence purposes in case of an invasion)

3/4th, 3/5th, 3/6th and 3/7th Battalions
Formed in Wrexham, Flint, Carnarvon and Newtown in March, May (3/6th) and June (3/7th) 1915 respectively.
8 April 1916 : became 4th – 7th Reserve Battalions.
1 September 1916 : 4th absorbed the 5th, 6th and 7th Bns, in the Welsh Reserve Brigade at Oswestry. Moved in March 1918 to Kinmel (Rhyl) and in July 1918 to Herne Bay in Kent.

2/4th (Denbighshire) Battalion
Formed at Wrexham in September 1914 as a home service (“Second line”) unit. Moved to join Welsh Division at Northampton on 22 November 1914. Moved in December 1914 to Cambridge.
22 April 1915 : attached to 203rd Brigade, 68th Division at Northampton. Moved to Bedford in July 1915, Aldeburgh in November 1916 and Henham Park (Halesworth) in May 1917. Finally moved to Yarmouth in October 1917.
March 1918 : disbanded.

Silver War Badge = https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/campaign-medal-records/records-of-the-silver-war-badge/