Author Topic: Which cemetery in Manitoba?  (Read 592 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Which cemetery in Manitoba?
« on: Thursday 15 November 18 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Clementiina Livingstone died in Woodlands, Manitoba on 15 February 1929. I'd be interested in a record of her burial, and also that of her husband William Livingstone, date of death unknown. Not being familiar with the geography of Manitoba, I'd appreciate pointers to the likely cemetery.

I assume that "Woodlands, Marquette County", "Woodlands West, Lisgar", "Woodlands Municipality, Selkirk" and "Sub-District 18, MacDonald" are all more or less the same place? William and Clementina were there from 1881.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Which cemetery in Manitoba?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 November 18 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Woodlands is northwest of Winnipeg. In the 1916 Census, she is living with her brother-in-law, Frederick, so William must be deceased by this time.

Reference to the family in the Woodlands local history book, and the fact that William died in 1910 after being gored by a bull:

https://digitalcollections.lib.umanitoba.ca/islandora/object/uofm%3A2243953#page/243/mode/2up/search/livingstone

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 November 18 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Date of death from book says Oct 8 1910.

Winnipeg Free Press, Oct 10 1910... says death occurred Friday in the city of William Livingstone, aged 63, of Lake Francis, Manitoba.   Deceased was a solicitor before the Supreme Court of Scotland and eldest son of the late John Livingstone, S.S.C. of Edinburgh.  Remains will be sent today to Lake Francis by C.N.R. (that is the train).

RK

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 November 18 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both. Very much appreciated.

Though I have re-checked the Manitoba deaths index and there doesn't seem to be a listing for his death.

I shall have to find a map of Manitoba, I think.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 November 18 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Date of death from the notice in the paper I posted was Oct 7, 1910 in Winnipeg.  There was another notice in the Winnipeg Free Press on Oct 8th saying that he died on the 7th.  So - both notices agree.  The notice on the 8th was almost identical to the one on the 10th...except the age is very blurry.  Looks like it could be 52 ???.  The age in the other notice was definitely 63.

RK

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 November 18 15:17 GMT (UK) »
From the Manitoba Death Index:

Name:   Wm Levingstone
Birth Date:   abt 1857
Death Date:   7 Oct 1910
Death Place:   St B, Manitoba, Canada

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 November 18 15:48 GMT (UK) »
From the Manitoba Death Index:

Name:   Wm Levingstone
Birth Date:   abt 1857
Death Date:   7 Oct 1910
Death Place:   St B, Manitoba, Canada
Ah, no wonder I couldn't find it. I was searching for Liv*. Never occurred to me to try Lev*. Thank you again. Where is St B?

BTW age 63 is correct. He was born on 8 January 1847 in Edinburgh.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 November 18 15:52 GMT (UK) »
St. Boniface, Manitoba ... now part of Winnipeg.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 November 18 16:30 GMT (UK) »
St. Boniface, Manitoba ... now part of Winnipeg.
Thank you.

Mr Google tells me there is a large general hospital in St Boniface, so that makes sense.

What makes no sense at all is a Solicitor in the Supreme Courts of Scotland taking up pioneering farming in Manitoba in his early 30s, but still described as an SSC when he dies three decades later.