Author Topic: Death of David SCOTT, Connecticut - help please  (Read 869 times)

Offline davidgp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death of David SCOTT, Connecticut - help please
« on: Friday 16 November 18 09:14 GMT (UK) »
I would be grateful for some help or pointers in trying to trace the death and burial of David SCOTT (b.1790 in England) thought to have died in Griswold, Connecticut after 1850.

I am presuming this is David SCOTT born to parents Joseph SCOTT and wife Ellen/Ellin/Helen (born STONER) 18 Oct 1790. David SCOTT married Lydia WATROUS in New London Connecticut in 1820 and while Lydia's grave is to be found in the Rogerine Cemetery in Ledyard, New London (she died in 1870) I can find no record or trace of David's death and burial. (David and Lydia's daughters Lydia SCOTT (1826-1844), Eleanor CROUCH (1830-1877) and Susanna THOMPSON (abt.1842-??) are also buried in the Rogerine cemetery.

David

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Death of David SCOTT, Connecticut - help please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 November 18 08:19 GMT (UK) »
It doesn't look like he's buried with his family, does it? They seem to have a list of all the burials:
http://quakertownonline.net/Old_Rogerene_Cemetery.htm

Have you found Lydia in 1860 without David? For reference, here is David and family in 1850:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M68T-JJ8

Can you get access to this collection:

Connecticut Deaths and Burials, 1772-1934
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1674748

On a typical search for deaths in Connecticut, familysearch says this about that collection:
Images Available
To view these images you must do one of the following:

Access the site at a family history center
    Access the site at a FamilySearch affiliate library

-- HIre someone in Salt Lake City to look for him?

My first thought was that he died at sea, but Griswold is far enough inland to make that unlikely, and on the 1850 Census David was a stone mason, so that option is probably out.

Could he have returned to England for some reason (e.g., death in the family) and died there?

I only read that page about the cemetery quickly, was it all Quaker? Do Quakers restrict burials in their cemeteries to only Quakers? Was David a different religion from the rest of his family? If all answers are yes, is David buried somewhere nearby?

-- Hire a reseacher in that area to look through the other cemetery records?

Have you contacted the town and or state and asked them to do a search for David? When I was researching in New England, the town was usually cooperative and was also cheaper than the state. In New England states, the county does not have the records, just the local town/city and then the state.

Offline davidgp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 November 18 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks oldohiohome for such a helpful and comprehensive reply. I have looked at the Family Search records you suggest but cannot find Lydia in the US 1860 nor could I find a Connecticut burial for David.

The Quakertown site I'd not seen and it adds some small detail (daughter Lydia's death by burning - a terrible echo of her first cousin Lucy who died as a small child when her dress accidentally caught light).

As to your comment on Quaker's and burials - I suspect David would have been a strong Wesleyan Methodist and may not have shared his wife's Quaker faith. David's own first cousin David STONER was an important leader in the Wesleyan Methodist movement. That does suggest he was buried elsewhere.

I did brief a New England genealogist back in January through the RAoGK scheme but as I'd not heard back I posted again here.

Thanks for your thoughts
David

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 November 18 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Did he own land? you can often get clues by when the property changed hands, it wouldn't give you his burial place but could narrow down the years.

Also look up to 100 years after his possible death, my family passed land to sons and then grandsons, but did not register it with the courthouse, so when one person wanted to sell they had to establish clear title a sworn affidavit was found naming the children and grandchildren some 90 years later.

Offline davidgp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 November 18 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks amondg for the suggestion - David was a stone mason travelling away from home for work as I understand it - not certain how to check in the US records whether he owned land.

One good development has been leads from oldohiohome that took me to the extensive Whipple family website which has what seems to be a family bible date for David's death of 28 April 1856.

David

Offline usaPetticrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 November 18 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for posting your find about a possible death date in 1856.  It helps to narrow the field of search.

I checked databases at newspapers.com and newspaperarchive.com and found no Connecticut papers that had a clipping about anyone named Scott.

Genealogybank.com did have Connecticut historical newspapers but none with a mention of David Scott when I searched for 1850-60.

This next has Connecticut papers but it looks like you have to browse them, rather than use a search function.  You'd need to tackle this.  Too time-intensive for me.

https://archives.lib.uconn.edu/islandora/object/30002%3Anewspapers

Petticrew, Pettigrew, Bedigrew, and all variants.

Offline davidgp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 November 18 22:17 GMT (UK) »
@ usaPetticrew thanks for the leads on the Connecticut newspapers which I will follow up.

David

Offline usaPetticrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 November 18 15:18 GMT (UK) »
I am guessing this is the page on the Whipple family site that you saw:

https://genweb.whipple.org/d0437/I16752.html

It does have a different birthyear for David Scott, 1794, but with no day or month that might have been calculated from the 1850 census.

Weldon Whipple appears to be the webmaster, so I suggest you contact him and see what he knows about David Scott.  Also, if he can put you in contact with R. Gilebarto, who seems to be a source of info about the Scott family.

If you ever find the info you seek, please post a note here so we know the matter has been closed.  Thanks.
Petticrew, Pettigrew, Bedigrew, and all variants.

Offline davidgp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 November 18 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's the Whipple genweb page I saw. I've disregarded the 1794 date as a census calculation and am basing my connection partly on the fact David and Lydia used a naming convention for their children that included Eleanor "Ellen" who was David's mother Ellen SCOTT (STONER). The Barwick-in-Elmet, Yorkshire registers have provided accurate birth and baptism records.

I've seen Robin Gilebarto's name and email crop up on the Whipple and other genealogy sites related to the CROUCH and WHIPPLE lines but I think in the first instance I'll contact the Whipple site as you suggest. If anyone there is looking to know more about David SCOTT's Yorkshire roots I can certainly join up the dots.

I'm happy to have satisfied myself at least that I've found the span of David's life so you can consider this topic closed. Thanks to all who've contributed.

David