Author Topic: Rutherford & Fry on DNA testing  (Read 1285 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Rutherford & Fry on DNA testing
« on: Friday 16 November 18 10:58 GMT (UK) »
The first of the new series of Curious Cases of Rutherford & Fry on Radio 4 goes into DNA testing and descendance from royalty and the Vikings.

Adam Rutherford is a geneticist, and he and others explain how the likes of Ancestry give us "ethnicity" reports.

Also available as a podcast. Because it isn't TV, it is not restricted to the UK.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rutherford & Fry on DNA testing
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Just listened to this, this morning. Pretty much as I thought.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 16:07 GMT (UK) »

Missed it, - did he say it was all a waste of time then?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 November 18 14:14 GMT (UK) »
You can download the podcast and listen whenever.

For a while you can browse the schedules on the website. Today it's also showing under "Highlights". I notice that the offered version there is the 26-minute podcast one, which includes the background chats at the beginning and end.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 November 18 14:59 GMT (UK) »
I listened to the live programme during last night. The question posed was 'are we all Vikings'. The outcome was probably reasonably accurate, 'no, but there's a lot of mingling'. Saxons only mentioned once and Celts not at all.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 November 18 15:53 GMT (UK) »
I listened to the live programme during last night. The question posed was 'are we all Vikings'. The outcome was probably reasonably accurate, 'no, but there's a lot of mingling'. Saxons only mentioned once and Celts not at all.   

It was a very short programme - only 15 minutes.  Rutherford & Fry take a light-hearted approach to topics.
Hannah is a mathematician and is interested in data. She removed her imaginary Viking helmet at the end of the programme.  ;D
Cowban

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 November 18 16:25 GMT (UK) »
The podcast - 'available from your usual podcast provider' - is longer and worthwhile listening to, often laugh-out-loud funny.

Adam Rutherford pointed out that the estimates provided by the DNA testers depended on the data they'd accumulated, and also that you didn't have to go back very far before we are related to each other.  And to royalty.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 November 18 16:52 GMT (UK) »
.... as I said, exactly what I'd expected.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 November 18 17:04 GMT (UK) »
.... as I said, exactly what I'd expected.

Since his expert subject is genetics, a relief that Adam Rutherford gave a suitably lightweight and entertaining - but accurate - response  ;D
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex