Author Topic: Lincolnshire regiment 4th battalion  (Read 603 times)

Offline Bill 4423

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lincolnshire regiment 4th battalion
« on: Friday 16 November 18 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I wonder if someone can help/offer advice, my father in laws uncle was James Herbert Hudson.
He was born in Sunderland in 1900, as far as I can tell he joined the Lincolnshire regiment in Sunderland (4th battalion – territorial) we are not sure exactly when he joined, we think 1916 but I cannot find any records.
He was killed in france and flanders 25th April 1918
James Herbert Hudson –Private
Lincolnshire regiment 4th battalion
Regiment number 51796
He is named on this war memorial http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=10810

My father in law is the last surviving member of his family, around 25+ years ago he was given this war hero’s service documents/papers, photos etc.
At the time, he had 4 teenage children and had to move the documents along with other things into a garage he rented nearby. Yobs set the garage on fire on everything including his car was burnt.
When we visit he constantly tells me the story and is obviously distraught they were lost.
Is there any way of finding out James Herbert Hudson’s joining date?
Also any details of his service etc? I do not mind paying someone for this.
T I A
Bill. 

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lincolnshire regiment 4th battalion
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 November 18 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill, welcome to Rootschat.

Per the Lincolnshire Regiment medal roll (and his MIC) JHH had previously served with the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment, 51 Grad. Bn. service number 107282.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 November 18 15:37 GMT (UK) »
From the medal records ShaunJ identifies and from the Register of Soldiers' Effects and his war gratuity we can squeeze the following info:

51 Graduated Battalion of the Sherwood Foresters was only known as such after October 1917.  His war gratuity was £3 which indicates that when he died on 25 April 1918 he had 12 months or fewer war service.  His age would have stopped him going overseas until 1918 at the earliest (although there were many exceptions, official and unofficial). This would suggest he went to France late 1917 early 1918.
He may well have joined a unit which is not recorded on the surviving documents. ie before 51 Grad Bn, but there is no way of knowing when it was, in any event it would not have been before April 1917.

MaxD

You might like to download the war diary for 4 Lincolns for the period that covers April 1918 here for £3.50:   http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354229

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 November 18 16:03 GMT (UK) »
The war diary, as is common, does not name the casualties among the rank and  file.  On 22 April, the diary records that the battalion were, for 3 days, in billets at Houtkerque in France near the Belgian border.  Tellingly, it records that "this was the first time it had been possible to re-equip the men since 21 March".  That was the date of the massive German offensive Operation Michael and the allies had in effect been going backwards since then.  In March and April, the number of wounded alone was in the hundreds.  (In May 1918 the battalion was reduced to cadre strength having lost so many).

Died of wounds" almost always means he had been recovered and was in the casualty evacuation chain.  That is effectively confirmed in that the cemetery in which he is buried is one that was almost entirely used by the Casualty Clearing Stations that were round and about the area, the name Bandaghem being the amusing (say it out loud) given to the village, actually called Haringhe.
His Commonwealth War Graves detail is here:https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/93837/hudson,-/
MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Bill 4423

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 November 18 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill, welcome to Rootschat.

Per the Lincolnshire Regiment medal roll (and his MIC) JHH had previously served with the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment, 51 Grad. Bn. service number 107282.

ShaunJ

Thank you for the welcome and the very useful information.

The war diary, as is common, does not name the casualties among the rank and  file.  On 22 April, the diary records that the battalion were, for 3 days, in billets at Houtkerque in France near the Belgian border.  Tellingly, it records that "this was the first time it had been possible to re-equip the men since 21 March".  That was the date of the massive German offensive Operation Michael and the allies had in effect been going backwards since then.  In March and April, the number of wounded alone was in the hundreds.  (In May 1918 the battalion was reduced to cadre strength having lost so many).

Died of wounds" almost always means he had been recovered and was in the casualty evacuation chain.  That is effectively confirmed in that the cemetery in which he is buried is one that was almost entirely used by the Casualty Clearing Stations that were round and about the area, the name Bandaghem being the amusing (say it out loud) given to the village, actually called Haringhe.
His Commonwealth War Graves detail is here:https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/93837/hudson,-/
MaxD

MaxD
Many thanks for the fascinating information, which is very much appreciated, I am wondering how he ended up in the Lincoln’s when he started in the Sherwood’s (please excuse my ignorance) is there any way of finding out his service/medal history? Considering the information I have found says he enlisted in Sunderland, as far as I can see neither of these recruited from Sunderland.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 November 18 10:09 GMT (UK) »
His service record is without doubt among the 60% or so lost to bombing/fire in WW2 so all we have to go on are the medal records and the Effects Register.
You'll recall his war gratuity shows he had 12 months service or less when he died.  His birth was registered in the June quarter of 1899 so he would have been called up at age 18 in the Apr/May/Jun time frame of 1917 (which adds up with his gratuity) entering service some time after that.  Even if he had jumped the gun a bit and volunteered, where he went would not have been his choice at all, the needs of the army took top priority.  51 Graduated Battalion was a UK based training battalion for young soldiers and once his training was over, he would have been sent to France,  first to an Infantry Base Depot where again, the needs of the service came into play and he was sent to the Lincolns. 

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk