Author Topic: DNA Match at My Heritage  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA Match at My Heritage
« on: Friday 16 November 18 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Confused :-\

My autDNA tansferred from Ancestry, and my brothers' transfered from FTDNA to My Heritage, we both have a match with the same person of of "1st cousin twice removed and 2nd cousin once removed" who would  be the common ancestors is it ? 2nd gt grandparents??.

Kim

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Match at My Heritage
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 November 18 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kim

You really need to look at the shared DNa measurements in cM. Thsi chart shows the possible relationships for various readings:

https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4

2nd cousin would usually be great grandparents in common.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 November 18 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Follow the colours back in the chart to see the probable common ancestor/s
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 November 18 15:57 GMT (UK) »
I would agree with 2nd great grandparents as the most likely (although it could also be great grandparents or in an extreme case, even grandparent)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 November 18 16:04 GMT (UK) »
That was quick-thank you Gadget and Davidft. :)

I will have a go with dnapainter Gadget but I do not find it as "user friendly" as you do!

Kim

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 November 18 16:50 GMT (UK) »
I would agree with 2nd great grandparents as the most likely (although it could also be great grandparents or in an extreme case, even grandparent)

Sorry David, direct 2nd cousins are descended from great grand parents, 3rd cousins would be great great grandparents.

This is not DNA related  it's our kinship system (bifurcate merging if I remember my Kinship course when studying Anthropology in the 1960s)

If you're think of DNA estimates, it could be all those on the chart.

Gadget

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 November 18 17:37 GMT (UK) »

Sorry David, direct 2nd cousins are descended from great grand parents, 3rd cousins would be great great grandparents.

This is not DNA related  it's our kinship system (bifurcate merging if I remember my Kinship course when studying Anthropology in the 1960s)

If you're think of DNA estimates, it could be all those on the chart.

Gadget

Yes it appears I cannot count ( I added an extra great)

And to think I  was going by the chart that MyHeritage use and is attached to each match.  ::)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 November 18 17:48 GMT (UK) »
 ;D

I've noticed that Ancestry 4-6 cousins seem to be  3-5 cousins in My Heritage. No wonder people get confused. That's why I go by the cM range.

Online sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 November 18 04:46 GMT (UK) »
The main point is, that you are both related to this person by DNA.

The actual relationship is up to you to work out, no chart can do that for you. In the absence of a decent paper trail, the charts can only estimate a relationship.

The fact that you and your brother are indicated as having a different relationship with this match just goes to show how you cannot work it out at all without some knowledge of your ancestors and those of the match.

You say you don't find DNAPainter particularly user friendly - you don't have to use DNAPainter to use the chart.

Or you can view the original one at -

https://thegeneticgenealogist.com/2017/08/26/august-2017-update-to-the-shared-cm-project

However, you can't input your own figures here like at DNAPainter.

If you click on 'Predicted relationship. Possible range.  What does this mean?' at ancestry, you will see they talk about degrees of separation. This is another way of putting Blaine Bettinger's chart into practise.

Also, compare you, your brother and your match directly at myheritage to see where you differ. This could explain the apparent anomaly between 1st cousin twice removed and 2nd cousin once removed.

DNAPainter use genetic genealogist chart, which relies on user submitted values, but DNAPainter also uses DNA geek's calculated figures. Somewhat confusing!

Basically, it is up to you and your match if willing and able, to work it out.

:) :)

Regards Margaret

Added
As for your original question, 1st cousin twice removed and 2nd cousin once removed - are you fairly young, or getting on a bit?

Proven 1st cousins twice removed share grandparent of one match, 2G grandparent of the removed match.

Proven 2nd cousins twice removed share great grandparents of one match, 3G grandparents of the removed match.

So it depends whether you are the full cousin or the 'removed'.
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go