Author Topic: Anyone having problems with Ancestry (and Find My Past)  (Read 3027 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone having problems with Ancestry (and Find My Past)
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 22:11 GMT (UK) »
I am now fed up with firefox as well as safari and chrome. Ancestry and FindMyPast do not like any of them, yet all other sites are ok 🤔

I have been with Ancestry and FindMyPast since 2012 and apart from a few funny patches and plenty of ridiculous hints i have enjoyed using both. However i am now so frustrated that it may be time to quit. 🙁
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 00:08 GMT (UK) »
I have not been having any problems with FindMyPast and I am using chrome.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 16 December 18 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Oddly enough, not had problems with ancestry previously, but today it sort of "chucked me out" partway through, and I had to log in again, and it's also started sending up REALLY silly responses to "Search" queries! Stupid dates, and illogical name links....

Then it changed to Ancestry.com and told me to register

I am feeling SO exasperated with Ancestry, for exactly these reasons.  On the rare occasions that I can consistently get in without being timed out, it is often tipping me out of .co.uk into .com and signing me out between each search and viewing the results, so that I can see snippets but not details of the search results.  Then when I do get in to see them, they’re ridiculous, bearing no relation to the specified location/birthplace parameters and sometimes not matching the names and ages either. It'll also delete all details on the search form when one tries to "edit".

Switching browsers has not solved the problems.

This has been the case off and on for weeks or months, with no particular logic - sometimes it’s fine and at other times it’s unusable.

Anyway I finally sent a message to Ancestry identifying the main issues I am experiencing and have just got back the most patronising stock response, including some choice phrases:

You do not need to go from site to site to access international records Yes I know - stop taking me out of .co.uk into .com then!

Your membership level alone determines what records you can access Well that is how it should be, obviously, but what also stops me accessing records is when you keep signing me out mid-search.

We recommend you become familiar with the Card Catalogue. Oh for goodness sake!  I have been a subscriber for something like 20 years. I have been on “power user” panels.  I do not need to be introduced to the flipping Card Catalogue :o

Ugh.  They drive me nuts. Rant over.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 17 December 18 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Yesterday Ancestry kept erasing the search form details and was giving American results even when I entered Birmingham UK  not Alabama. I got fed up of re-typing and gave up.