Author Topic: Anyone having problems with Ancestry (and Find My Past)  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anyone having problems with Ancestry (and Find My Past)
« on: Friday 16 November 18 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Anyone having problems with Ancestry (and FindMyPast to a lesser extent). Works fine for say 20-30 minutes then freezes. Really annoying.

Contacted Ancestry after a few days who said it wasn’t a problem their end, and suggested i clear out the cache (tried that), or try another browser (i was on my ipad so generally used safari but tried chrome and it was the same). Went back and fore to them over the next week or so, but generally had the same responses, or try the app (which i find ok to look at but not for research).

Have given up now and swap from safari to chrome, and hope it will resolve itself 🙄 but it is frustrating. No worse over the weekend when the military records were free to browse.

FindMyPast is less troublesome, but all the other sites i use regularly are fine. I’m beginning to wonder if someone is trying to stop me researching my family history 🤔
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone having problems with Ancestry (and Find My Past)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 November 18 16:59 GMT (UK) »
This is the error message if it helps 😀
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 November 18 17:03 GMT (UK) »
There are a few threads on the Tech Board about this, Deirdre. I think Safari and Chrome might be giving problems. Have you tried using Firefox?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 November 18 17:03 GMT (UK) »
I work on my iPad and after a time I have to reboot because Ancestry stops loading or freezes.
Often it does not show images - just the little circle going round, or, if there is an image and I try to open it I get an error message. Usually, the image opens on second try!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 November 18 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Oddly enough, not had problems with ancestry previously, but today it sort of "chucked me out" partway through, and I had to log in again, and it's also started sending up REALLY silly responses to "Search" queries! Stupid dates, and illogical name links....
And as I've said, never had problems before!!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 November 18 17:10 GMT (UK) »
There are a few threads on the Tech Board about this, Deirdre. I think Safari and Chrome might be giving problems. Have you tried using Firefox?

Gadget

Thanks Gadget, i’ll have a look; i did search ‘ancestry problems’ before posting but the few that came up were quite old. Forgot there was a tech board too, sorry 🙄

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 November 18 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all, not only me then. I’ll give firefox a try.

Just had a look at the desktop (windows 10) and in fairness that didn’t seem an awful lot better ☹️

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 November 18 17:13 GMT (UK) »
I am just used to it now  ::)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 November 18 17:21 GMT (UK) »
I am just used to it now  ::)

We shouldn’t have to though ☹️

Clearing the cache seems to have affected other things too.... i can get onto Rootschat for instance from a shortcut on the desktop, but if i go in through a link in a notification email i have to log in. 😡