Author Topic: Ancestry.co.uk keeps trying to ...  (Read 4953 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry.co.uk keeps trying to ...
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 November 18 23:08 GMT (UK) »
It is getting increasingly hard to tell the difference between Ancestry bugs and features.

Martin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 November 18 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Am I missing something?

Ancestry is behaving very nicely for me. I have the international membership and  it always opens in .co.uk

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 November 18 07:51 GMT (UK) »
I have no technical know how to speak of but it seems to me that the error 404 message on Ancestry (rather like the "Oops" Page on FindMyPast) is appearing when I am being too quick to click before the previous operation has fully finished!

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 November 18 08:51 GMT (UK) »
I also have international sub again, I also get the 404 error

My theory on the being taken to the .com site is...
They (Ancestry) are trying to take out more and more records from the uk only sub and making it unavailable unless you have the international sub in an attempt to get more money out of us.   Fold 3 (most military records) is only available in the most expensive package.  They give out free days on occasion which means they have to switch back on occasion, it’s this process that’s getting their knickers in a twist as they have over complicated the whole “who can access what” process.

I personally think the whole of Ancestry has got so large and cumbersome it’s now at the point of becoming totally unmanageable.

Hope they realise they are biting the hand that feeds them  ::)

Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 November 18 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Well it seems to be something that you all have in common and I don't.  For Genealogy, I usually use Win 10/Firefox and clear cache and history regularly. I use my Mac mainly for image processing, but haven't had any problems on it when accessing either Ancestry or FindMyPast.

??? ??? ???
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 November 18 09:45 GMT (UK) »
It feels [to me] as if it's certainly worse since last weekend's Fold3 "free" offer.

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 17 November 18 13:45 GMT (UK) »
I've just crafted what I thought was a well-phrased message to another Ancestry user (we have messaged each other before) and clicked Send only to get a pop-up from Ancestry saying "Can't send your message now".  After closing the pop-up, the message has disappeared, so if I want to send it I'm going to have to start from scratch.  Arghhh!

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 November 18 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Well it seems to be something that you all have in common and I don't.  For Genealogy, I usually use Win 10/Firefox and clear cache and history regularly. I use my Mac mainly for image processing, but haven't had any problems on it when accessing either Ancestry or FindMyPast.

??? ??? ???

I have to say the same.  I use Win7/Opera and haven't had any problems with either Ancestry or Find My Past so maybe it is a specific operating system/browser problem.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 17 November 18 19:33 GMT (UK) »
I, too, don't have any problems at all.
Still logged in to .co.uk; no "404" errors at all?

I'm using Firefox (latest version) on Windows 7.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)