Author Topic: Ancestry.co.uk keeps trying to ...  (Read 4972 times)

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry.co.uk keeps trying to ...
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 17 November 18 19:41 GMT (UK) »
That's been happening to me for ages. It also happens when I search through Family Tree Maker.
I'm also getting lots of Error 404 File Not Found and Sorry , page not available. If you contact Ancestry I am sure they will say that it's your settings , or something similar , but , on past experience I would say it's a mistake to change anything , best to wait and hope it improves.

Not a good standard of service though !

They usually blame the browser you are using and suggest you try another
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 17 November 18 21:03 GMT (UK) »
I have Windows 7 and I've tried different browsers - using Google Chrome at the moment. It doesn't seem to make any difference which one I use.

At least it works part of the time  ;D
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 18 November 18 10:26 GMT (UK) »

I personally think the whole of Ancestry has got so large and cumbersome it's now at the point of becoming totally unmanageable.

Hope they realise they are biting the hand that feeds them  ::)

Funny you should say that -- because that is how I felt the other night... working a family (I have the Whole sub too :) )  that were definitely LEICESTER  and they were throwing the lot at me.. NOT in HINTS in BMD searches..  from Leic to Timbuktu and back.. ridiculous.

xin

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 18 November 18 10:53 GMT (UK) »
…...move where my ancestors are from.  For years now it has tried to flip my locations to the US.  Now they have moved my Dad's death to Edinburgh, the opposite side of the country from where he did die.  By this I mean how they've indexed the actual record not that they've changed what I typed in my tree.   I complained but apparently I just don't understand Scottish geography.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 18 November 18 11:00 GMT (UK) »
They must just like Pheno, Kevin and me  ;D

Seriously, if there was a problem with Ancestry, it would affect all of us. Many do not have a problem, many do, so what are the ones who have problems do that the ones who don't do?

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 18 November 18 11:35 GMT (UK) »
…...move where my ancestors are from.  For years now it has tried to flip my locations to the US. 

Ancestry, being a US company, will do that if you fail to add a country to the placenames in your data?! ::)

Being originally from Somerset, if I don't add ", England" Ancestry assumes I mean Somerset, New Jersey or Somerset, Pennsylvania.
Likewise, if i put Suffolk, Ancestry will assume I mean Suffolk, Virginia, or Suffolk, New York.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 18 November 18 17:09 GMT (UK) »
…...move where my ancestors are from.  For years now it has tried to flip my locations to the US. 

Ancestry, being a US company, will do that if you fail to add a country to the placenames in your data?! ::)

Being originally from Somerset, if I don't add ", England" Ancestry assumes I mean Somerset, New Jersey or Somerset, Pennsylvania.
Likewise, if i put Suffolk, Ancestry will assume I mean Suffolk, Virginia, or Suffolk, New York.

When I fixed it the first time I made sure I had the full place name.  It still glitches now and again.

Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 19 November 18 14:10 GMT (UK) »
When Ancestry gets overloaded, the site tries to divert processing by shifting requests to "free trial" "subscribe" or "error 404" pages.

404 result can be cleared by hitting refresh - my record is current 14 attempts in a row.

The other results mean that they have thrown away the data you sent them.

This all happens because the servers they use are overloaded. I know they use Amazon Web Services to deal with logins, but I'm unsure where the databases and the code to display them sit. You can just buy extra capacity in Amazon's cloud, but they might have problems with database searches which are not as easy to buy their way out of.

Unfortunately it's not possible to guess when peak demand will be. The same code is used for all the various .com, .co.uk, .com.au etc versions around the world. Demand may go up or down depending on other events. For example, US demand might go up on Thanksgiving because everyone is thinking about family, or down because they are busy actually talking to real people.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.