Author Topic: Forest of Dean - didicoys  (Read 3595 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Forest of Dean - didicoys
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 November 18 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Didicoy was a common term when I was young.  Generally it was used for Gypsies with mixed parentage.  Not necessarily a Gypsy parent and a parent from a non Gypsy background, but often a child who had one parent who was a Romany Gypsy and another parent who was from a different Gypsy background.

From memory people used to call the Gypsies who went round houses selling pegs, lavender etc. didicoys.

Offline mrs.family

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 March 19 22:49 GMT (UK) »
My husband's family have Morgan [gypsy] connections - this branch of the family had a route they followed - Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Gloucestershire - though I have found some of them in the Swansea valley pre-WW1. Some of the Morgans were noted folk-singers [you can google them].

Offline ClareBear3

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 June 20 09:01 BST (UK) »
I am also researching my heritage and know that my great grandmother and back were didicoy from Gloucester.
My great grandmother's maiden name was Lee and her married name was Dean

Offline midlandsmorg

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 July 20 10:12 BST (UK) »
My husband's family have Morgan [gypsy] connections - this branch of the family had a route they followed - Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Gloucestershire - though I have found some of them in the Swansea valley pre-WW1. Some of the Morgans were noted folk-singers [you can google them].

Sorry to pretty much hijack someone else's thread but I'm following the same travelling Morgan's around Wales and the South as Mrs.Family and would love to share info. My link is through many generations of Daniel Morgan largely in Wiltshire, Gloucester, and then in the 20th century around Pontardawe, Swansea, Ebbw Vale. This is my first time using the roots chat forum so I'm sorry if I'm approaching this all wrong!!