Author Topic: This family is one of the sad ones.  (Read 1787 times)

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: This family is one of the sad ones.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 November 18 10:57 GMT (UK) »
I don't believe all pregnancies are compromised only those with opposing blood group.

Today rhesus negative blood group mothers who have a rhesus positive baby have a gamma globulin injection like I did - some of my mother's family were O rhesus negative, my mother, my uncle and myself amongst them.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 November 18 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Sadly it was often Syphilis !!! wasnt it :)  after the Boar War.. 

I have read or heard that somewhere.. Because it shocked me.

But it seems that it can be carried through generations...

I know someone will put me right on that :)

I get muxed ip these days.

xin

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 November 18 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Sadly it was often Syphilis !!! wasn't it :)  after the Boar War.. 

I have read or heard that somewhere.. Because it shocked me.

But it seems that it can be carried through generations...

I know someone will put me right on that :)

I get muxed ip these days.   xin

I believe you are correct in principle Xin - syphilis also led to a lot of sight problems/blindness.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 November 18 13:39 GMT (UK) »
When I first started to research the only person who would tell me anything was my grandmother, sitting alone she whispered to me " I think my mum was married before but don't know as children never asked parents questions"
So I set out to try to find out and at first looking at her 6 brothers/sisters couldn't find her oldest sisters birth/bap and it was a long time before I did and I never got to tell my nan what I found out.

It was her dad who was married before, her older sister was in fact her half sister and her dad and first wife had 5 children, the oldest who lived and 4 others that died between 1 hour and 16 weeks old losing his wife when their last one was born. How life changed for him between the census and coping with such sadness in his life.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Sadly with rhesus incompatibility once the effects start we can't cure it (well you can do in utereo blood transfusions but they don't always work) and while the most common one is to do with the anti D antibodies (hence the prophylaxis) I've know someone loose their child through anti Kell antibodies and they can't prevent it

If they have another rhesus negative child that one will survive, but yes it can explain a lot of first babies being well then followed by stillbirths or early neonatal deaths - the prophylaxis only came in in 1969, if any of you heard about 'blue babies' being born or died as they were a blue baby from your grandmother etc they are probably referring to rhesus incompatibility

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Iolaus.
I was fairly sure it used to be called blue baby syndrome, but Mr Google suggests that term refers to something different now.

I am rhesus negative, and my first child, (born in the late '70s,) is rhesus +ve, so I remember there were special measures taken. I had an injection of something I believe, but I'm not sure what precisely was done.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 08:55 GMT (UK) »
My families saddest story in terms of baby loss
My great great grandparents married in 1883
1884 - My great grandmother was born and lived till mid 50s
1886 - George - died 3 months
1887 - Florence - died 7 months
1888 - Archibald - died 2 months
1889 - Leonard (lived till his 70s)
1891 - Minnie - died 4 months
1892 - Percy (lived till his 80s)
1893 - Elsie - died 2 months
1894 - Charles - died 8 months
1896 - Arthur - died 5 months
1897 - George - died  13 months

Eliza died in childbirth with George, - so she had 11 children only 3 grew up

My father said his grandmother was always distant and detached from children, I do wonder if  watching so many siblings died (and then loosing twins herself during WW1) is what caused that

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 08:57 GMT (UK) »
 :'(

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 09:14 GMT (UK) »
I cannot imagine what these parents went through, losing so many babies/young children. I too have an example, interestingly a farming couple who stated 10 children born alive with only three surviving. Sadly I have only been able to find one of those 'missing' children, no civil records for birth/death and no baptisms or burial for the other six :(
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.