Author Topic: Africa Star and Rosette  (Read 820 times)

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
Africa Star and Rosette
« on: Friday 16 November 18 22:38 GMT (UK) »
I was looking at the WW2 records of my Dad's service as an RAF despatch rider. It records he was awarded the Africa Star and Rosette. I think this was issued to everyone one who landed in Africa.
Can anyone explain the significance of the 'Rosette'? Was it some sort of clasp and were these routinely issued together?

Many thanks,

Stoney
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Africa Star and Rosette
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 November 18 22:53 GMT (UK) »
The Africa Star Rosette was awarded to RAF, Navy and Merchant Navy personnel serving between 23 October 1942 and the 12 May 1943.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 November 18 07:27 GMT (UK) »
From Wikipedia:

The Africa Star was awarded for a minimum of one day's service in an operational area of North Africa between 10 June 1940 and 12 May 1943. The operational area includes the whole of the area between the Suez Canal and the Strait of Gibraltar, together with Malta, Abyssinia, Kenya, the Sudan, both Somalilands and Eritrea. Areas not bordering on the Mediterranean only qualified for the Africa Star between 10 June 1940 and 27 November 1941 inclusive.

Air Force personnel had to land in or have flown over any of the operational areas. The Africa Star was also awarded to crews of transport aircraft that flew over certain specified routes.

The North Africa 1942–43 Clasp was awarded for service with the 18th Army Group Headquarters between 15 February 1942 and 12 February 1943 inclusive, for Navy and Merchant Navy personnel in shore service, or for Air Force service in specified areas from 23 October 1942 to 12 May 1943 inclusive. In undress, a silver rosette worn on the ribbon bar denotes the award of this clasp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa_Star
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 December 18 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, KGarrad and jebber!

Sorry to be late responding, I found the message notification sculling around when I was checking the email address linked to this account - it's not one I use very often!

But thank you again, for taking time to add a little more information that helps me understand my Dad's war/service records.  :-*

Regards, Stoney
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England