Author Topic: Off-Topic DNA question  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Off-Topic DNA question
« on: Saturday 17 November 18 10:15 GMT (UK) »
I'm not planning on becoming a mystery thriller writer but this concept puzzles me. If a woman has a sex change operation, and the appropriate chemicals, so that she resembles a man, and then commits a violent crime against a woman  and leaves DNA at the scene, wouldn't the police fail to find this person because the DNA would say it was committed by a woman, but they'd be looking for a man?

I wonder if this idea has been used in a film or literature.

Martin

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Off-Topic DNA question
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 November 18 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Is there something you need to tell us Martin?

;D ;D ;D ;D
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 November 18 10:41 GMT (UK) »
It would be more difficult as it wouldn't be immediately obvious that they were a suspect.  However,  there would be records that they were born a man.  more often than not though a DNA is used to confirm they have the correct person rather than to inform the search.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 November 18 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Familydar, was it that obvious?!

Pharma, surely the police would not be looking at medical records, as the DNA would show that it was female DNA, and they would not know whose records to refer to?  At least, not until they had a suspect, and even then, how would they know that the suspect had had a sex-change, unless the person agreed to a DNA test, or declared it, prior to a formal arrest?

Martin

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 November 18 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Familydar, was it that obvious?!

Pharma, surely the police would not be looking at medical records, as the DNA would show that it was female DNA, and they would not know whose records to refer to?  At least, not until they had a suspect, and even then, how would they know that the suspect had had a sex-change, unless the person agreed to a DNA test, or declared it, prior to a formal arrest?

Martin

That's what I mean though.  Who the suspect is usually informed by witness statements, opportunity and motive.  DNA comes into play more after arrest to prove they have the correct person.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 November 18 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 November 18 12:50 GMT (UK) »
STG, even from 2004 that article is interesting and sums up the basis of my original question. (I did laugh at the probably unintentional use of the expression "... sort of get the ball rolling...").

I don't think people realise that at all.  I'm not intentionally making any sort of socio-ethical comment, it's just something that occurred to me recently and I thought this was a good forum to get a simple and not too technical answer.

There are so many cases where the police take DNA samples from all the (usually) men in one particular area, or at a particular event.

Martin

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 November 18 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Is there something you need to tell us Martin?

;D ;D ;D ;D

Love it...  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 November 18 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Any blood left at the scene or taken from a suspect would have unusual levels of sex hormones, more than would be found in a 'natural born' person of that gender.

I agree though, it would be kind of an interesting case for a film (if you could keep people from revealing the twist), or episode of CSI or similar.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344