Author Topic: Donald McKenzie & wife Eliz 1851 census Nairn  (Read 1497 times)

Offline jahjahau

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donald McKenzie & wife Eliz 1851 census Nairn
« on: Saturday 17 November 18 12:43 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in hearing from anyone with information about Donald McKenzie aged 49 & born in Inverness, Invernessshire & a Chelsea pensioner/Burgh Officer who was living in Nairn-Royal Burgh; 4 McLean Court. His wife was Elizabeth and she was also 49 and was born in Nairn.  They were also in Nairn in the 1861 census.

Shipping records and BMD records of descendants record that the parents of my gggrandmother (Graham McBEAN nee McKenzie) were Donald & Elizabeth.  In one record her father's name was recorded as Miller McKenzie and he was a teacher.  I believe the Donald and Elizabeth in the 1851 & 1861 census records cited above, could be Graham's parents. 

Graham married Donald McBEAN and in 1851 they were in Hutchesontown, Gorbals. They emigrated to Australia in 1856. 

Thanks
Judy in Australia

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Donald McKenzie & wife Eliz 1851 census Nairn
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 November 18 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judy

The 1841 census doesn't help you further does it  :-\ You likely have this entry but to add as possible info for Graham. They all show as born outside of Lanarkshire:

Elizabeth Taylor 50...a user submitted addition to this transcript shows her as Elizabeth Graham Taylor (is this your correction?)
Helen Graham 25
Jane Graham 24
Graham Mckinzie 8 b. Scotland

Address: Cleland St No 8, Hutchesontown

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 November 18 16:09 GMT (UK) »
The 1851 census shows them as lodgers:

Donald McBane, married, Lodger, dyer b. Edinburgh
Graham McKenzie, married, lodger, white seam sewer born Inverness

Address: 10 Milton Lane, Glasgow Barony

The 1855 shipping manifest for them shows their birth places the other way round doesn't? Donald b. Inverness and Graham b. in Edinburgh. Could they have been put in the wrong way round in either document?

Have you tried to follow through on the household from 1841. I ask because one of their daughters was named Elizabeth Graham McBean wasn't she? First two daughters Jane and Catherine, then Elizabeth wasn't it?

Which documents do you have Graham's father as Donald (I can see Miller McKenzie on her death reg index). No mother's name showing.

Monica

PS. This might connect to Donald before his marriage http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8772327

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 November 18 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Ahhh...think you have all this all ready, Judy www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=311607.0

Don't think I am adding anything new  :-\

Monica

Offline jahjahau

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 November 18 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Monica.  Just taking another look at this "brick wall".  The shipping register shows her parents  were Donald & Elizabeth.   I think they are the earliest record available, which has her parents named.

Yes, I have traced  Eliz Graham Taylor from 1841 census, through the 1851 census.  I have that in my notes.  The age for Graham is about right, as in other options that have been suggested by other descendants, but again, they are all possibilities.

Regarding the couple I found in Nairn, I wonder if a teacher was classed as a "Burgh officer"?

Regards
Judy