Author Topic: Looking for St Mary Magdelene RC Burnley marriages  (Read 521 times)

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for St Mary Magdelene RC Burnley marriages
« on: Saturday 17 November 18 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Would anyone have access to these records via manchester.gov.uk
In particular I am looking for:-
Elizabeth Ann Rigby/John Eaves 1911
Margaret Rigby/Thomas Griffin 1917

I believe they are my great aunts, but as the Rigby name is so common, I am unsure as to whether or not they are. The father of both brides should be William Henry Rigby and the addresses may be Whitpark St Burnley. John Eaves died in 1914, and is buried with his son and the son of Margaret.
The link for access to the records https://www.manchester.gov.uk/directory_record/211480/st_mary_magdalene_roman_catholic_burnley/category/785/marriagesregisters

Many thanks as always

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for St Mary Magdelene RC Burnley marriages
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 November 18 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Just had a potter round Lancashire Parish Clerks online, an excellent resource, by the way. These may not be highly relevant to you, but:
* A William Rigby b 20th Sept 1898, parents William Henry Rigby & Mary/Maria (Bland) was baptised at St Mary Magdalene on 2nd October 1898.

* A William Henry Rigby, b 5th Nov 1900, same parents, was baptised there on 20th Nov 1900.

There's also this:

A marriage between William Henry Rigby (21), piecer, of Ashmore St , and Maria Bland (20) of Nelson Street, took place on 17th September 1887 at St Peter's Church, Preston. his father was given as William Rigby, a plasterer, and hers as Joseph Bland (dec), a Churn maker.

Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 November 18 17:27 GMT (UK) »
- oh, and was there any chance that william Henry had been married earlier to an Ann? there are a couple of Margaret Ellen Rigby baptisms at St Marys Preston to a William Henry Rigby and Ann, one in 1882 and one in 1888.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 November 18 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ThrelfallYorky, yes that's the family. Elizabeth was their first child born 1888, Margaret born 1893. Unfortunately they don't cover the marriages for the period in question.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 November 18 16:00 GMT (UK) »
It seems from the 1901 census that they must have moved to Burnley about 1893 -7 from the children's birthplaces given there. I assume you have them all?

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 November 18 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again ThrelfallYorky. Yes I have all the births. A break through was made last night. In the 1939 Register it has William Henry Rigby, Maria Rigby and Thomas Griffin, living at Barlow st Preston.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 November 18 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I was just about to put that 1939 entry up for you. I've checked out the "other" William Rigby with similar named children, who married in Preston, with wife Ann, and they're not "yours".
I've got children listed as:
Elizabeth, Mary Alice, Margaret, John James, (William?) William Henry, Joseph and Leo. As you'll probably know in 1911 Marie puts down 10 children born, and 7 are still living at that point.
I'm still hunting through using the sibling names to try and track your pair of Great Aunts down!!
Are you certain about the spouses in both those marriages, for I've come upon a few other possibles married in the Burnley area today....?

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 November 18 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again ThrelfallYorky. The marriages I posted are looking positive. I found a grave on lancs opc at Burnley cemetery for John Eaves and son John Eaves 1914 with Monica Griffin and Thomas Griffin( Whitpark st). I have a WW1 pension record for my great uncle John James Rigby at 19 Whitpark St, and the family were at Whitpark St in 1911. It's all fitting together. However I can't find any death or second marriage for Margaret. Would she have used her Rigby name? By the way, my grandfather was Joseph.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 November 18 16:33 GMT (UK) »
I'll keep looking, but I'm away from base for a bit, so you might have solved this with other help by then. I've not forgotten it.