Author Topic: Sir Henry Cooper - Boxer - Ancestors  (Read 3165 times)

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Sir Henry Cooper - Boxer - Ancestors
« on: Saturday 17 November 18 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi All, I have always known that the above (and his brother George) were evacuated to my great aunt Emily Holland in Lancing, Sussex from their London home, at the beginning of WWII.  I had thought that it was just a random evacuation until someone pointed out to me this morning that Emily's mother Sarah's maiden name was Cooper and perhaps therefore it was not so random.

Thought I would spend a bit of time researching 'our henery' this afternoon but have not got very far.  I have established that Henry and twin brother George were born on 3 May 1934 to Henry William Cooper and Lily Cooper (née Nutkins) in Lambeth and there was an older brother Bernard born 1930 in Camberwell.

William Henry Cooper married Lily Nutkins on 8 May 1927 at St. John the Evangelist, Southwark stating on the certificate that he was a 25 year old labourer, therefore b.c. 1902 and that Lily was a 21 year old Hosemaker, therefore b.c 1906.  His father is recorded as George Cooper (deceased), a furniture polisher and hers as Henry Harry Nutkins a labourer.  I don't need to know anything more about Lily's family as if there is any connection it is through the Cooper line.

Here I am stuck though, I cannot seem to go any further back with William Henry or his supposed father George.  An obituary at the time of Sir Henry Cooper's death indicated that his father William Henry (known as Henry I think) was in the Royal Artillery from 1919 and an online tree on Ancestry shows William Henry's parents as Charles Henry Cooper and Isabella Leveridge which doesn't agree with William Henry's father being George.

Emily's mother Sarah Cooper's ancestry is firmly established in Hampshire back to the 1770's so I would expect to find one of Sir Henry's ancestors emanating from Hampshire although of course, some of the Cooper siblings did move away from this part of the country.

I don't need any help with Sarah Cooper (1854-1935) as this is my well-researched direct line but any info concerning Sir Henry Cooper's ancestry would be most welcome.

Thanks, Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Henry Cooper - Boxer - Ancestors
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 November 18 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked for William Henry and Lily on the 1939 register to find the exact date of birth for William?

I note that the marriage cert for William to Lily records a witness as George J Cooper, perhaps a brother? Might be worth looking into  :)

JJ

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 November 18 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Taking a peek at a biography of Henry online, these should be the grandparents of Henry Cooper in 1901 - George + Elizabeth Cooper in Newington. George being 34, born Plaistow (Essex)
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X9HQ-8SV

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 November 18 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Possibly
Sep 1901 Southwark 1d 98
Cooper, Henry William
mother Lindo

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 November 18 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Struggling with the free index for 1911
Elizabeth with two children?
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWPV-B64

Possible husband George in hospital?
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW5B-M14

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 November 18 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the replies - been doing my ironing!

Yes should have said I searched for Henry Cooper and his family on 1939 register and on 1911 census but couldn't specifically identify an appropriate family in either instance.

Also searched for a Cooper/Lindo or a Cooper/Shillingford marriage on Free BMD having identified these as mmn's for a William Henry Cooper b.c. 1901.  No joy with either marriage though.

Will follow up other suggested clues.

Thanks, Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 November 18 18:29 GMT (UK) »
I have now found the George Henry Cooper/Elizabeth Lindo marriage, but in 1915 Bermondsey, after the birth of all of their 10 children, not as stated on that 1911 census, in 1894. Maybe she was already married?

Thanks, something to follow up on but it doesn't seem to be a Cooper connection to my great aunt.

Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 November 18 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi
That looks like the one!
Yes, it could be just a coincidence after all, Cooper being quite a common name (it certainly is a difficult one to research!)
John

Offline CooperFrench

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 April 19 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi all, Just joined this as saw a thread regarding Henry Cooper ancestors.
I may be able to help as I am HC's nephew.
My dad was Bernard Henry Cooper born in 1930.
My grandfather was William Henry Cooper born 1901. His father was George Cooper and his father was William Cooper who hailed originally from Bishopstoke near Southampton before moving to London's East End. Anyway, you probably know all that...