Author Topic: John Thomas CASH, b. 1897 Broughton  (Read 3303 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Thomas CASH, b. 1897 Broughton
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 November 18 12:18 GMT (UK) »
John Cash, bpt Chirk,  12 Nov 1820 - parents: John and Elizabeth, abode - Black Park.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 November 18 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Just been working back from John Thomas info that you have as definite:
Insert:

1881 John Cash (born Chirk 1822) Plate layer & wife Ann (b. Bangor 1823) + Thomas Cash b.1849(colliery labourer), Edward Cash b.1858 & Joseph Cash b.1865, all living Broughton.

1881 - as you've found  in Broughton

Father John b. 1822, Chirk, platelayer.
Mother, Ann b. 1823 b. Bangor (on Dee). Bangor ys y coed (half in Denbighshire, half in Flintshire)

1871 - also as above

Only marriage in the area 1845 +/- 5

June Q, 1846, Wrexham John Cash to Anne Griffiths

Parish marriage John Cash m Anne Griffiths, 9 May 1846, Holt. 

John's father was Richard Cash, a shoemaker

Richard Cash, shoemaker and Lucy, Forge (Pontyblew) had children bpt  1825 +/-  in Chirk, but not John. The closest to his dates was:

James - bpt 12 Jan 1823

Because 'the Forge' was on the Chirk/St Martins/Duddleston border, I see that they are mentioned in each parish at times.

Richard Cash m Lucy Pritchard, Ruabon, 23 Jan 1815 - witness was a Jane Cash

There was another Richard but he was a collier and wife was Ann

Both  Richard Cash in the 1841:

Collier, in Chirk:

HO107/1399/1/9/10

Shoemaker, in St Martins:

HO107/916/4/18/16

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 November 18 14:58 GMT (UK) »
The Richard Cash, shoemaker is shown on the 1851 to have been born St Martins, circa 1776  (HO107/1993/742/25)

Only baptism circa 1776 there (and fits  if he followed his  father's profession) :

5 Sept (b. 1st) Richard Cash, son of Edward (cordwainer)  and Sarah

Gadget

PS- I think my Cash ancestors were the other family - coal miners. I seem to remember following this shoemaker family back in the early 2000s and discounting them.

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 November 18 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your comments.

I've probably made it harder for himself putting out so much detailed information. Still not sure I understand it fully.

Happy that I have right marriage for John Thomas and have him identified in correct 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses.

1881 and 1871 John and Ann - seems right children and location.

I agree that the 1871 John Cash (with Anne) and the 1861 John Cash (with Mary) is not the same person.

I used to think the line went through Ann Griffiths but the occupation of Richard Cash, the father of John Cash (marriage to Ann Griffiths in Holt in 1846) was a shoemaker, and that doesn't feel right.
All of John Thomas Cash ancestors up to this point had been miners/labourers in a mining area.

If I discount the shoemaker family as my Cash ancestors, should I be following the line of John Cash marrying Mary Rogers?  If so, are my John Cash's parents Thomas Cash and Elizabeth Jones (marriage 1818)?

Hoping to get this family on my tree soon  ???

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 November 18 19:24 GMT (UK) »
If it's the Rogers one, it is most likely one of my distant relatives.

An outside way of finding out if it is - have you done a DNA test? If so, you might well show as a match to me.

Gadget

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 18 November 18 19:55 GMT (UK) »
I would have trouble persuading my partner as it's not my line I'm researching.  I'm going down the Rogers' route I think. Thanks for your help.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 19 November 18 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your comments.

I've probably made it harder for himself putting out so much detailed information. Still not sure I understand it fully.

Happy that I have right marriage for John Thomas and have him identified in correct 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses.

1881 and 1871 John and Ann - seems right children and location.

I agree that the 1871 John Cash (with Anne) and the 1861 John Cash (with Mary) is not the same person.

I used to think the line went through Ann Griffiths but the occupation of Richard Cash, the father of John Cash (marriage to Ann Griffiths in Holt in 1846) was a shoemaker, and that doesn't feel right.
All of John Thomas Cash ancestors up to this point had been miners/labourers in a mining area.

If I discount the shoemaker family as my Cash ancestors, should I be following the line of John Cash marrying Mary Rogers?  If so, are my John Cash's parents Thomas Cash and Elizabeth Jones (marriage 1818)?

Hoping to get this family on my tree soon  ???

Your Thomas Cash born 1848 was clearly the son of John Cash and wife Ann - he and all his siblings births on GRO's birth index clearly show their mother maiden name was Griffiths i.e. his parents are the John Cash and Ann Griffiths married 1846 Holt.

This marriage entry clearly states that John Cash's father was a Richard Cash, shoemaker - how can you say 'it doesn't feel right' and that you'll discount the shoemaker family as your Cash ancestors and should you be following the line of John Cash and Mary Rogers??   I can't understand your reasoning - your Thomas b.1848 was the son of John and Ann, his mmn was Griffiths so why would you follow the line of another John married to a Mary Rogers?

I've found a Richard Cash, shoemaker married to a Lucy Pritchard 25/1/1815 Ruabon, Denbighshire.
I would imagine he was a journeyman shoemaker moving around as their children seem to be:

Emily bp.21/12/1815 Ellesmere & chapelry of Duddleston, Shropshire
Emily bp.18/8/1816 Chirk, Denbighshire (can't see burial for 1st Emily so perhaps she was baptised twice)
Elizabeth bp.16/1/1820 Worthenbury, Flintshire
James bp.12/1/1823 Chirk, Denbighshire
Eliza bp.8/2/1829 St Martins, Shropshire

Louisa Cash 35 (bc.1797), bur.3/6/1832 Chirk, wife of Richd. Cash (suspect this is Lucy)

I don't think the Richard Cash, shoemaker bc.1776 on 1841 census is the one who was married to Lucy - possibly - like his mother - John's father was already dead   - a Richard Cash was buried 21/1/1834 Duddleston but unfortunately no age is given on the transcript.

When John Cash married Ann Griffiths 1846 one of the witnesses was a James Cash - I think this was his brother. bp'd 1823 Chirk (as shown above).   Like Gadget, I cannot find a baptism for John himself.

John's father clearly a Richard Cash, shoemaker as stated on his marriage certificate to Ann Griffiths and the birth of son Thomas (1848) and his siblings confirm their mother's mmn was Griffiths.  Think both of John's parents were dead before 1841 and no doubt this is how John himself ended up in the predominant occupation of the area i.e. coal miner. 

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 19 November 18 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Annette, the ROGERS Thomas was also born in 1848, maybe that’s the reasoning.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 19 November 18 01:28 GMT (UK) »
The Thomas b.1848 to John and Mary (Rogers) was born in St. Martins, Shropshire and by 1881 is still there married to a Martha.    Marriage took place Dec.qtr.1876  Wrexham to Martha Smith.

The Thomas b.1848 of this thread, was in Broughton 1881 with parents John and Ann.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk