Author Topic: AncestryDNA deleted matches  (Read 1047 times)

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
AncestryDNA deleted matches
« on: Saturday 17 November 18 20:10 GMT (UK) »
In the past few days I think I can remember deleting an AncestryDNA match because I couldn't see the link - the user had multiple unlinked trees but nothing to give me their lineage.  Low cm match, it seemed too much effort when I have another couple of thousand matches to plough through.  But one of their tree names stuck in my memory, and today that same tree has popped up with a name I recognise as a tree hint for one of my lines.

Problem is that as I've rather prematurely zapped the DNA match, their user name says this person isn't a DNA match.

I've tried searching my deleted matches for the user name (ctrl f) but it's laborious working though them page by page.  History shows me multiple AncestryDNA match pages visited in the last few days but I'd need to check each one to find what I'm looking for, almost certainly even more laborious.

I can't see any way to download DNA matches, is it there somewhere I'm failing to spot?  Otherwise does anyone know of any shortcuts?  And also does anyone know if my deleting the match "my end" means it will have dropped off the other person's list too?

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline roderickpaulin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: AncestryDNA deleted matches
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 November 18 01:26 GMT (UK) »
I've never seen an option to delete
Anderson-Black-Bone-Brahant-Burnside-Cameron-Cook-Curle-Ferriss-Gilchrist-Gilmour-Goodson-Hahn-Holmes-Hodge-Kepple-Klingensmith-Lane-Laurie-Lounsbury-Malott-MacDonald-M*cGregor-M*cKay-M*cKenzie-M*cLennan-McArthur-McMillan-Meiklejohn-Melvin-Miller-Moir-Murray-Murray-Olding-O'Neil-O'Neil-Pat*erson-Paulin-Pentland-Pidgeon-Plenderleith-Redfield-Robertson-Sexsmith-Shuel-Spark-Steel-Stewart-Thomson-Torrence-Urquhart-Wardrope-Weir-Wilson-Wright.
surnames in direct line - going back 8 generations

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 November 18 03:36 GMT (UK) »
I have never used the delete option, I just use the note section to indicate that there is no connection found.

I was going to say that it could not be deleted from your match's list by you.

However, I experimented with deleting someone I was pretty sure wasn't closely connected.

This message came up -

Confirmation—The DNA match to 'Jack Smith' is removed.
The match has been moved to your list of removed matches (you can find them at the bottom of this page).

So, you don't actually delete at all, you just ignore the match.

Let us know how you get on, I returned Jack easily enough!!

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 November 18 08:15 GMT (UK) »
I used delete as what I thought was a means to hide matches and get the list down to a manageable number - failed there too!

As Margaret has said, you can restore, and that's what I've decided to do.  Slightly quicker than assessing them and deleting in the first place, because it's purely "mechanical", but still time consuming.  I could have spent those hours much more productively.

As a way of finding out whether my folly has knock-on effects to others, I have a close match I'm in regular contact with, I may delete her temporarily and ask whether I've disappeared from her own matches.  I'll report back.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON