Author Topic: Mark & Elizabeth Dale nee Hogan  (Read 638 times)

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mark & Elizabeth Dale nee Hogan
« on: Saturday 17 November 18 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have some information about some relatives; Mark Dale b.1855 to Mark & Francis Dale in Congleton and Elizabeth Hogan b.1855 to Thomas Hogan (shoe maker) in Ashton. I have a marriage record in 1885 at St Peters in Bolton and a probate record for 2nd December 1923 (at the time he is listed as living at 9 Sun Street) but I cannot find a grave for either of them. I have census results for them both in 1911 but I cant find Elizabeth in the 1939 survey and she isnt mentioned in the Probate. Can anyone help with the graves or anything for Elizabeth before their marriage? The marriage certificate is as follows:

1885 - Marriage solemnized at St Peter’s, in the district of Bolton, 11th July 1885
Groom: Mark Dale, bachelor       Age: 22 years
Profession: Striper and Grinder      Address: 21 Water Street, Bolton
Grooms father: Mark Dale          Profession: Gentleman
Bride: Elizabeth Hogan, spinster      Age: 22 years   
Profession: Not Given         Address: 25 Water Street, Bolton
Bride’s father: Thomas Hogan (DECEASED)   
Profession: Shoe Maker          Witnessed by: Nathanial & Sarah Fletcher

Thanks, Luke

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Mark & Elizabeth Dale nee Hogan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 November 18 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth may not be named in the probate entry but is she named in the will?  When was Mark’s will made?

EDIT

Probate wasn’t 2.12.1923 - that’s the date he died.  Probate was 17.1.1924
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 November 18 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, the Will reads;

Document One
This is the last Will and Testament of me Mark Dake of No 9 Sun Street Oldham in the County of Lancashire made this 12th day of November in the Year of Our Lord one thousand nine hundred and twenty. I hereby revoke all Wills heretofore made by me and I appoint my daughter Agnes Dale Madden, Housewife of Oldham in the County of Lancashire and John Madden (Cotton) spinner of Oldham in the County of Lancashire to be the executors of this my Will. I direct that all my debts, funeral and testamentary – expenses shall be paid as soon as conveniently may be after my decease I give devise and bequeath unto my daughter Agnes Dale Madden all my personal property.

Document Two
Be it known that Mark Dale of 9 Sun Street, Oldham in the County of Lancaster, Blowing Room Operative in a Cotton Mill who at the time of his death had a fixed place of abode at 9 Sun Street, aforesaid within the district of The City of Manchester and hundred (?) of Slaford died on 2nd December 1923 at 9 Sun Street, aforesaid and be it further known that at the date hereunder written the last will and testament of the said deceased was proved & registered in the district probate registry of His Majesty’s High Court of Justice at Manchester and that administration of all the estate which by law devolves to and vests in the personal representative of the said deceased was granted by the aforesaid court to Agnes Dale Madden, of 9 Sun Street, aforesaid (wife of John Madden) the daughter of the said deceased and the said Madden of the same place, Operative Cotton Spinner the Executors named in the said will. Dated 17th January 1924. Gross value of Estate £107, 17 & 9 pence.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 November 18 22:43 GMT (UK) »
 Elizabeth wasn't mentioned in the will and all property was left to daughter, Agnes. I assume that Elizabeth was dead. Another possibility is that Mark and Elizabeth divorced.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 November 18 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Death registration Oldham 1917 Elizabeth Dale aged 50. (Lancashire BMD) Age is out but it was the only one I could see.
Cowban

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 November 18 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Census has Elizabeth born c 1866/7, you have 1855?

So 1917 Death Reg maiden stone put seems likely.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 November 18 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Census has Elizabeth born c 1866/7, you have 1855?

So 1917 Death Reg maiden stone put seems likely.

Hi, I have some information about some relatives; Mark Dale b.1855 to Mark & Francis Dale in Congleton and Elizabeth Hogan b.1855 to Thomas Hogan (shoe maker) in Ashton. I have a marriage record in 1885 at St Peters in Bolton and a probate record for 2nd December 1923 (at the time he is listed as living at 9 Sun Street) but I cannot find a grave for either of them. I have census results for them both in 1911 but I cant find Elizabeth in the 1939 survey and she isnt mentioned in the Probate. Can anyone help with the graves or anything for Elizabeth before their marriage? The marriage certificate is as follows:

1885 - Marriage solemnized at St Peter’s, in the district of Bolton, 11th July 1885
Groom: Mark Dale, bachelor       Age: 22 years
Profession: Striper and Grinder      Address: 21 Water Street, Bolton
Grooms father: Mark Dale          Profession: Gentleman
Bride: Elizabeth Hogan, spinster      Age: 22 years   
Profession: Not Given         Address: 25 Water Street, Bolton
Bride’s father: Thomas Hogan (DECEASED)   
Profession: Shoe Maker          Witnessed by: Nathanial & Sarah Fletcher

Thanks, Luke

If the ages they gave at marriage were correct I calculate their birth years to have been c1863.
Where did you get birth years 1855 for them both?
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 November 18 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, the Will reads;

Document Two
Be it known that Mark Dale of 9 Sun Street, Oldham in the County of Lancaster, Blowing Room Operative in a Cotton Mill who at the time of his death had a fixed place of abode at 9 Sun Street, aforesaid within the district of The City of Manchester and hundred (?) of Slaford died on 2nd December 1923 at 9 Sun Street, aforesaid  ………..

"... within the district of the City of Manchester and Hundred of Salford ..."

The Hundred of Salford was one of the ancient divisions of the County of Lancaster. Manchester was one of many towns and villages in Salford Hundred. Bolton was also in Salford Hundred. The administrative area of Greater Manchester is a modern equivalent of Salford Hundred.
Cowban

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 May 19 09:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone. Sorry for my delayed response - I couldnt find this thread again but I took a chance with the death certificate for Elizabeth that you mentioned Maiden Stone and it all matches. Thank you all so much for your help : )