Author Topic: John Harris -bn1781 Glass Manufacturer Birmingham  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Katie Steele

• RootsChat Member
  • G.Grandparents Charles and Elizabeth Steele
    • View Profile
John Harris -bn1781 Glass Manufacturer Birmingham
« on: Saturday 17 November 18 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

This week I found a memorial for my 4xG.Grandfather John Harris. This stated that he was a Glass Manufacturer from Birmingham he died in 1820 in London aged 39 and his remains are in the Christ Church Yard London.
This led me to his Will, made while he was lay ill in London. It states he had a dwelling in Aston, Birmingham and a warehouse and premises in Birmingham. (It names a street but most I can read is that it begins with a B)
I have googled and searched everything I can think if to see if there is any information on his Glass making/warehouse.

As far as going any further back with his line, I'm finding this pretty difficult too. Going by his age when he died he was born 1781, however this is ten years younger than his wife.
He married his wife Fanny Guest in Madeley, Shropshire 1806.
They had I believe 6 children, John, Thomas, Sarah Ann, Susannah, Eleanor Guest and Edwin Alexander (my 3xG.G)
There is a John and Thomas mentioned in his will which I think he was owed money from.
Also mentioned in his will are
John Smith - brother in law
William Chambers of Birmingham - cousin
Isaac Pemberton - nephew

And there is a signature of Witness John James Harris with no indication if this is family too.

Can anyone help in either pointing me in the right direction or if you don't mind helping me look.

Thank you!!

Katie
Steele - Wellington, Drayton in Hales, Woodseaves - Shropshire <br />Jones - Montgomeryshire (Llanidloes and Llangurig)<br />Ball - Dawley, Shropshire <br />Williams - Dawley<br />Ray/Rea/Reay - Dawley, Shropshire, Bromsgrove, Worcs <br />Evans - Dawley, Horsehay<br />Halford - Dawley, Broseley, More, Clun<br />Harris - Little Wenlock, Birmingham, Feckenham<br />Paterson - Aberdeen<br />Skinner - Aberdeen

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: John Harris -bn1781 Glass Manufacturer Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 November 18 08:40 GMT (UK) »
It may help if you post a snippett of the street name you cannot read

Just posting to give us some idea on locations
1806 Marriage gives John Harris of the parish of St John, Worcester & Fanny of Madeley (By licence)
Children are baptised in Birmingham, the first being John in 1808 and the last being Edwin on 5 Oct 1820 and t

I assume that Fanny is the one bapt 1771 Madeley, she would be 'quite old' when the children were born. Do you have her burial
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 November 18 11:07 GMT (UK) »
As far as I can see there are no Glass Manufacturers listed in Birmingham Directories.
I did note the following in 1815 Wrightson's Triennial Directory of Birmingham

John Harris Factor And Manufacturer Bailey-street
John Harris Plumber And Glazier St. Paul's Square

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 November 18 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Baptisms Birmingham, St Martin
Edwin Harris, age 2 born 9 Oct 1817 bap 5 Oct 1820 parents John (Glass Maker) & Fanny, abode Great Brooke St. Ashted. (Nr Aston)

Eleanor Guest Harris, Sarah Ann Harris & Susanna Harris all baptised 1816, abode Prospect Row. Baptism for John 1808 from Aston.

1818 Wrightson’s Directory  lists John at Great Brooke St. No occupation.

After reading the will I think this is John Harris Factor And Manufacturer Bailey-street.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Katie Steele

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 November 18 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your replies,

Thank you for the extra info on their marriage, my findmypast subscription ended a couple weeks ago and I've yet to go the library.

Fanny remarried to a Thomas Wilcox and I believe she died 1842.
I know this is the correct Fanny as the memorial that John is on is her families. It doesn't have Fanny on, although mentions her as being Johns wife and mother of Sarah-Ann that died in infancy.

Colin, it may well be the first John Harris, the street does begin with a B. I had looked at historical directories, but couldn't see them for that time. (Also I'm sure the historical directories used to be easier to search 10 years ago!)

I've attached a snippet showing the street, and can now see it definitely says bailey street.

Thank you!!
Steele - Wellington, Drayton in Hales, Woodseaves - Shropshire <br />Jones - Montgomeryshire (Llanidloes and Llangurig)<br />Ball - Dawley, Shropshire <br />Williams - Dawley<br />Ray/Rea/Reay - Dawley, Shropshire, Bromsgrove, Worcs <br />Evans - Dawley, Horsehay<br />Halford - Dawley, Broseley, More, Clun<br />Harris - Little Wenlock, Birmingham, Feckenham<br />Paterson - Aberdeen<br />Skinner - Aberdeen

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 November 18 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Sadly I do not think the street exists today, unless it is the one at West Bromwich, my guess is that it was nearer to Great Brook St. which is still there but shorter than it was at the time.

Colin

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 November 18 19:32 GMT (UK) »
A list to give you possible names starting with a b for roads, streets etc in Aston area are on page 2 of this link A list to give you possible names starting with a b for roads, streets etc in Aston area are on page 2 of this link http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digital/collection/p16445coll4/id/251261/rec/5
this is a directory for Birmingham 1835, it carries two headings for Glass, I tried to think of other names eg mirrors, looking glasses. windows but nil results so even the wrong date for john

because I noticed one of the headings was for dissenters I suddenly thought could your John Harris have had an adult christening before marriage into the church of England and so could this be him with parents named
John Harris Christening Date 27 Jun 1804 SAINT MARTIN, BIRMINGHAM,
Father's Name   John Harris   Mother's Name   Elizabeth

tried Genes Reunited https://www.GenesReunited.co.uk has 3 John Harris entries for Birmingham 1781  with three tree builders Donald, Helen, and Sharon. You would need to join to communicate with them

tried for a Directory and found a result later than I wanted https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/1835_Directory_of_Birmingham#GLASS_TOY_AND_CHANDELIER_ORNAMENT_MAKERS has
the  1835 Directory of Birmingham
the nearest entry is underGLASS FLINT MANUFACTURERS
Harris Rice, Islington

tried A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 7, the City of Birmingham
Edited by W B Stephens. The religious, political, economic and social history of the largest city in the Midlands. Victoria County History - Warwickshire. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1964.This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.  the website https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/warks/vol7
includes under contents  so more details presumed in same volume
Harris, John, n; Wm. (flourished. 1790), Wm. (flourished. 19th cent.), family,worth checking out. You would need a big ref library or perhaps Aston uni library.
Harris, Rice, Islington glass works of, 
note the abbreviation ‘n’ above is not listed in the list of abbreviation this is the mo

I tried The British Newspaper Archive www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/‎ for about 30 minutes expecting to find advertisements etc and not finding any clues gave up but think I didn’t use the best search parameters
 hoping something useful for you good luck onwards
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Katie Steele

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 November 18 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all.

I will definitely look into all those bits you highlighted Bally, thank you.

I think I may have potentially found Johns parents, although it will all need to be checked.

His nephew Isaac Pemberton, I believe is the son of Abraham Pemberton and Susanna Harris. Born Worcester 1797. I then think I have found Susanna's death in 1845 aged 76. Putting her birth about 1769.
I found a potential christening for her in Feckenham, 1768 to a Thomas and Susanna. They also had a son John bap 1781. So fingers crossed, I can find something to confirm this.

Thank you again

Offline Katie Steele

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 November 18 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Also could anyone cast an eye on the snippets of words from his will I have attached please?
I'm a lil stuck on these, most I couldn't see i've gone back to it and they are as clear as day... these are leaving me a bit confuddled!

Thanks
Katie