Author Topic: What WAS her maiden name?  (Read 783 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What WAS her maiden name?
« on: Sunday 18 November 18 09:54 GMT (UK) »
I have looked into this topic before, but unfortunately the lady who seemed to be able to possibly throw some light on things seems to be no longer active on here.

I have a couple, William and Ellen Hickin, both born in Lapworth, Warks., who in 1911 had been married for 54 years and were living a bit north of Henley in Arden (Waterloo Farm). I have found a suitable marriage in 1855 (best date match on freebmd: I suppose someone of 80 who had been married for over 50 years might mistake the exact number) in Solihull district (which included Lapworth- I’ve not yet taken the plunge to order the GRO cert). William Hickin married Ellen Astley. The problem is that the maiden name given on birth certificates of two daughters who are certainly theirs, is Chesshire! What explanation can there be for this? The odd thing is that according to the lady who was previously active here, Chesshires lived at Pink’s Farm, and the Hickin’s were certainly there on an earlier census (not at the same date). If Ellen’s mother had remarried at some time after Ellen’s marriage to William this wouldn’t affect Ellen’s maiden name?
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What WAS her maiden name?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 November 18 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked to see a possible marriage Astley/Chesshire. Ellen may have been a young widow.

I have a 4th gt grandmother, married at abt 19, so a mother at 20, widow at 20, remarried at 22.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 November 18 10:03 GMT (UK) »
It could be that Ellen had had a previous marriage and been widowed at an early age, that wasn't unusual in those days.

Just seen Medpat has said the same thing!
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 November 18 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Find My Past has her as a spinster (single) on her 1855 marriage-father Thomas.

Ahaha, looking at the marriage cert online- it has her father as Thomas Astley,with the surname above of Chesshire crossed out. He was a farmer.She was 19 and from Nuthurst.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 November 18 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.
The lady who had researched these families implied that Chesshire was the later name so I wonder if it is reasonable to think that Thomas Astley died and Ellen’s mother married a Mr Chesshire some time before Ellen’s marriage and he was Ellen’s step-father?
The geography makes sense, since Nuthurst is near Hockley Heath (the postal address of Waterloo Farm in 1911) and not far from Lapworth.
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 November 18 14:13 GMT (UK) »
If Ellen’s mother had remarried at some time after Ellen’s marriage to William this wouldn’t affect Ellen’s maiden name?

Ellen could use any name she wanted. 

I would say she is Eleanor, baptised at Lapworth in 1836, the daughter of Thomas ASTLEY and Mary.  Same parents for Joseph and Thomas.

Head of household is Thomas CHESSHIRE, a coal merchant

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGZY-8Y9

Head of household is Thomas HASLEY a boat man.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQ19-MYK

Now all you have to do is work out if the two Thomas's are the same person.  I think Mary's maiden surname was COOPER.

Debra  :)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 November 18 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I clearly need to look into this, but it certainly seems that Astley is the earlier name.
Dave

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 November 18 16:16 GMT (UK) »
I have found an 1845 death reg of a Thomas Astley on freebmd, in Solihull district. No indication of his age, but this is promising.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 November 18 16:20 GMT (UK) »
I have found an 1845 death reg of a Thomas Astley on freebmd, in Solihull district. No indication of his age, but this is promising.

Using the GRO index that death was for an infant
ASTLEY, THOMAS       age 0     
GRO Reference: 1845  March  Quarter in SOLIHULL UNION  Volume 16  Page 411
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk