Author Topic: Help with parents names  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with parents names
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 18 November 18 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Rob

I'm sure that the marraige  that Millmoor has found in Mearns is correct. The entry is for proclamation  (banns) on the 19th and then they probably married on the 24th*

James birth registration is also in Mearns.

Gadget

* add or Catherine, as informant on James's birth reg, just forgot which day it was.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 18 November 18 21:47 GMT (UK) »
I have to say that I do not think the family in Cathcart is correct - I think that is the family of William Devine and Catherine McCallum.

I have now found the following births using Familysearch;

Charles Devan birth 24 May 1859 Mearns Parents William Devan and Catherine Corrigan

William Devine birth 21 Nov 1855 Mearns Parents William Devine and Catherine Corrigan

Mary Devine birth 16 June 1861 Mearns Parents William Devine and Catherine Corrigan

This family seems to have been transcribed as Diven on the 1861 census and as Devais in 1871 (on Scotlands People).The downside is that the James showing  in 1871 there is 0 years old. They are living in Mearns.

Looking at what I think is your tree on Ancestry you have James Devine married to Margaret Murray - they would appear to have married in Port Glasgow in 1882, she is recorded as Maggie Murray. If you have not done so I would be inclined to download that marriage to make sure that you have the correct names for James's parents.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 18 November 18 22:03 GMT (UK) »
This family seems to have been transcribed as Diven on the 1861 census and as Devais in 1871 (on Scotlands People).The downside is that the James showing  in 1871 there is 0 years old. They are living in Mearns.

If it's the same family that I've found recently, Catherine is b. Ireland. Also, William, snr, isn't listed with them. Transcription only.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Robdev019

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 19 November 18 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Millmoor, We you are correct with the marriage certificate. Completely incorrect parent I have, looking at the attached. It looks like James's parents are Francis Devine and Margaret Campbell. However, on James birth certificate the marriage is recorded as 1854 in Barrhead. Back to the drawing board i think.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 19 November 18 20:33 GMT (UK) »
From Familysearch, James son of Francis Devine and Margaret Campbell was actually born 10 Aug 1856 ( in Paisley) so was actually 26 ( not 21) when he married Maggie ( who really was only 15 having been born 3/5/1866 in Greenock). Margaret’s father was actually Thomas ( not Francis).
can you clarify which line it is you are searching ie James son of William and Catherine ( Corrigan) or James son of Francis and Margaret (Campbell).
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 19 November 18 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob

Looking at the names of the children of James Devine and Margaret Murray there certainly seems to be a naming pattern going on and so parents of James called Francis and Margaret does make sense.

Do you have the death cert. for James Devine? Are the parents names the same as on the marriage cert?

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Robdev019

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 02 December 18 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Millmoor, sorry i has been away for a few weeks. I have tried finding the death of James Devine and cannot trace this. Seems odd really. The last I have seen of him was on the 1911 Census living in Port Glasgow as a ship plate riveter, Margaret his wife is not recorded on this as she would have been dead since 1909.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 02 December 18 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob

I think his death is likely to be the one showing on Scotland's People  in Port Glasgow in 1934.

William

Offline Robdev019

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 04 December 18 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Millmoor, that makes sense. He is the widower of Margaret Murray. Father Francis Devine and Mother Margaret Campbell. The information was his son Francis Devine. Looks like I got this one wrong. Thanks for your help on this.