Author Topic: Howard family in Lambeth  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Edward Skylover

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Howard family in Lambeth
« on: Sunday 18 November 18 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi there :)

My 3x great grandfather is James Howard who was born in Suffolk, 1837. At some point he moved to Lambeth, London, where I presume he spent the rest of his life. He was there in the 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses. His wife was a lady named Harriet who was born in Southampton, Hampshire, according to the censuses. I can't seem to find James in the 1861 census, I think his father is also called James Howard from Suffolk but I can't find definitive proof that he is.

I was wondering if anyone would know an easier way to find his 1861 census entry and also if anyone knows why In the mid 1800s someone would move from Suffolk to London?

Thanks in advance. :)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Howard family in Lambeth
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 November 18 19:46 GMT (UK) »
He was there in the 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses. His wife was a lady named Harriet who was born in Southampton, Hampshire, according to the censuses.

Hello - does he have a more specific birth place on those census or just Suffolk?

If you can find the marriage record for him and Harriet that might help. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 November 18 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Possible marriage in 1859 John Howard Harriet Dawkins

father John Howard deceased

So he should be with his wife in 1861 plus a son James born Lambeth 1859 and possibly a daughter Jane depending when exactly she was born.

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Edward Skylover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 November 18 20:04 GMT (UK) »
I have his father down as James from that marriage entry you mention. Most sources say his birthplace was Ashfield in Suffolk. Thanks for your help, I shall continue searching!  ;D

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 November 18 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Per FindMyPast, James Howard bp.27/8/1837 Gt. Ashfield, Suffolk, son of James and Mary.

However, there seems to be a situation regarding surname - his older siblings were William bp.26/5/1833 Gt Ashfield as 'Hayward, Mary Ann bp.27/9/1835 Gt Ashfield as 'Haywood', next 2 after James are George bc.1838, bp.15/5/1842 and Thomas Walter bc.1842?, bp.15/5/1842 both baptised as Howard then siblings baptised after then are shown as Hayword or Thompson, plus on 1841 and 1851 census in Great Ashfield the family are listed as Thompson!

Parents married as James Hayward and Marian Witton 12/8/1832 Great Ashfield.

Census shows James senior was bc.1809 Great Ashfield and baptisms reveal a James Haward bp.21/2/1808 Gt Ashfield, son of Amelia.    Three months later Amelia Hayward married John  Thompson on 11/5/1808 Gt. Ashfield.

So whilst the family name seems to be Howard/variants presumably John Thompson was the father of James Haward b.1808 and the latter giving the name Thompson for his family on 1841/1851 census.   Haven't gone forward from 1851 so don't know whether family in Great Ashfield continued with Thompson as their surname or whether reverted back to Howard.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 November 18 22:46 GMT (UK) »
There are possible birth registrations for James and (Mary) Jane in Newington.

HOWARD, JAMES  (DAWKINS)        
GRO Reference: 1860  J Quarter in NEWINGTON  Volume 01D  Page 229

HOWARD, MARY  JANE  (HAWKINS)      
GRO Reference: 1862  M Quarter in NEWINGTON  Volume 01D  Page 198

If these are correct then there are a number of both Newington and Lambeth census returns for 1861 which have been lost.

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 November 18 23:48 GMT (UK) »
I think James' place of birth given in 1871 is intended to be Elmswell.

Debra  :)

Offline Edward Skylover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 November 18 00:11 GMT (UK) »
That's great, thanks Annette 7 and Dundee! Very useful info  ;D

Offline Edward Skylover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 November 18 07:33 GMT (UK) »
Per FindMyPast, James Howard bp.27/8/1837 Gt. Ashfield, Suffolk, son of James and Mary.

However, there seems to be a situation regarding surname - his older siblings were William bp.26/5/1833 Gt Ashfield as 'Hayward, Mary Ann bp.27/9/1835 Gt Ashfield as 'Haywood', next 2 after James are George bc.1838, bp.15/5/1842 and Thomas Walter bc.1842?, bp.15/5/1842 both baptised as Howard then siblings baptised after then are shown as Hayword or Thompson, plus on 1841 and 1851 census in Great Ashfield the family are listed as Thompson!

Parents married as James Hayward and Marian Witton 12/8/1832 Great Ashfield.

Census shows James senior was bc.1809 Great Ashfield and baptisms reveal a James Haward bp.21/2/1808 Gt Ashfield, son of Amelia.    Three months later Amelia Hayward married John  Thompson on 11/5/1808 Gt. Ashfield.

So whilst the family name seems to be Howard/variants presumably John Thompson was the father of James Haward b.1808 and the latter giving the name Thompson for his family on 1841/1851 census.   Haven't gone forward from 1851 so don't know whether family in Great Ashfield continued with Thompson as their surname or whether reverted back to Howard.

Annette

Hi, sorry to be a pain, but I was wondering how you were bringing up those search results? As when I search Findmypast I don't seem to be able to get those results  ??? Thanks again.