Author Topic: William Hutchins convict  (Read 1723 times)

Offline ronsaghey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Hutchins convict
« on: Sunday 18 November 18 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi:

I'm trying to sort out some information on a convict named William Hutchins.  He was convicted in 1821 at the Surrey Quarter Sessions and transported to Australia aboard the ship Adamant.  New South Wales, Australia, Gaol Description and Entrance Books, 1818-1930 on Ancestry.com.au says that his native place was Warwickshire. However, his Certificate of Freedom in 1828 lists his native place - which I think means birthplace - as Lymington, which is in Hampshire.  He was ill during the voyage of the Adamant and the ship's Surgeon, James Hamilton, gave William's age as 27 in his journal, giving a rough birth year of 1794.  However, his certificate of freedom lists his birth year as 1799. I would guess that both are probably estimates, but which location would be right for his birthplace? Thanks.

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Hutchins convict
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 November 18 21:42 GMT (UK) »
I'm having trouble getting all of the records on Ancestry come up, but I can see one record that has the spelling as Leamington, which would be Warwickshire

M

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 November 18 22:21 GMT (UK) »
From my offline resources  :)  including those based on earlier research through NSW Archives pre Ancestry and other commercial family history websites  :)

November 1828 William HITCHINS
September 1825 William HUTCHINSON
September 1824 William HUTCHINS
May 1824 William HUTCHINS
September 1822 William HUTCHINSON
September 1821  William HUTCHINS
William HUTCHINS, 27 years of age, born Lymington, HAM, England, Indoor Servant,  5 ft 6 in tall, Dark sallow Complexion, Dark Hair, Hazel Eyes,  Trial at Surry Quarter Sessions 9 Jan 1821, 7 year sentence, arrived per Adamant 8 Sept 1821.  Certificate of Freedom issued 1828,  #379.

Try NSW Col Sec papers under those various spellings  :D  my research at that earlier time may not have concentrated on the individual, but have been more about the administrative processes and how they changed under different governorships ...

http://colsec.records.nsw.gov.au/

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline ronsaghey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 November 18 03:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for confirming that he was from Hampshire.  The Colonial Secretary Index only has three items for William Hutchins and all three are on Ancestry.com.au.  However, I did find a record on Find My Past.co.uk - Record Transcription: England & Wales, Crime, Prisons & Punishment, 1770-1935
He was convicted of larceny.  The image of his Certificate of Freedom in 1828 clearly shows the native place as Lymington. However, it's been mistranscribed as Lemmington and Leamington.

The surname got changed slightly from Hutchins to Hitchins and I don't know if I'm going to find a death or burial for him.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 November 18 06:09 GMT (UK) »
Who were his parents?

C of F notice 1st column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article31759851

A reprieve from a death sentence? 1st column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article31716252

Wine theft, 5th column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article2212051

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline ronsaghey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 November 18 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Something to keep in mind is that there was more than one William Hutchins transported to Australia. The Hutchins that I'm researching was transported for 7 years. Also, by 1826 the surname, possibly through a spelling error, had got changed to Hitchens.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/37072080?searchTerm=%22william%20hitchins%22%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20&searchLimits=l-state=New+South+Wales|||sortby=dateAsc

The relevant paragraph is at the bottom of the second column, just above the heading "Liverpool Police".

As for his parents, I haven't found them yet.  Although William Hutchins' native place is given as Lymington doesn't necessarily mean that he was baptized there. 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 November 18 21:59 GMT (UK) »
From my offline resources  :)  including those based on earlier research through NSW Archives pre Ancestry and other commercial family history websites  :)

November 1828 William HITCHINS
September 1825 William HUTCHINSON
September 1824 William HUTCHINS
May 1824 William HUTCHINS
September 1822 William HUTCHINSON
September 1821  William HUTCHINS
William HUTCHINS, 27 years of age, born Lymington, HAM, England, Indoor Servant,  5 ft 6 in tall, Dark sallow Complexion, Dark Hair, Hazel Eyes,  Trial at Surry Quarter Sessions 9 Jan 1821, 7 year sentence, arrived per Adamant 8 Sept 1821.  Certificate of Freedom issued 1828,  #379.

Try NSW Col Sec papers under those various spellings  :D  my research at that earlier time may not have concentrated on the individual, but have been more about the administrative processes and how they changed under different governorships ...

http://colsec.records.nsw.gov.au/

JM

Here is expanded info from NSW Archive sources.  Do you need the actual reel numbers? If so I will look back through my own archival records, could be a couple of weeks before I can access those.

Sept 1821  HUTCHINS William per Adamant to Parramatta for distribution
Muster Sept 1822 HUTCHINSON William 7 years per Adamant, assigned to Mr Reddall, Liverpool
Letter 17 May 1824 William HUTCHINS, per Adamant 1821, assigned survey party in Argyle County, re rationing
Letter 11 Sept 1824 William HUTCHINS, per Adamant 1821 re assignment
Muster Sept 1825 William HUTCHINSON, 7 years per Adamant 1821  Assignment Reddall, Liverpool
Census November 1828 William HITCHINS, aged 28, per Adamant, 7 years, free by servitude, a hutkeeper for John JONES, at Calula, in the Bathurst district.   NOTE:  John JONES came free per Nile, in July 1801

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/convicts/indexes

I am confident that all the above listings are for the one person who arrived on the Adamant in 1821.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 November 18 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Two Certificates of Freedom ... so is that suggesting that there's likely a colonial sentence as well ...

NSW state archives convict index.

Reel 983
William HUTCHINS, Adamant 1821 CF 24 April 1828 #379

Reel 998
William HUTCHINS, Adamant 1821 CF 30 December 1836 #1299

JM

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 November 18 23:27 GMT (UK) »

William HUTCHINS, 27 years of age, born Lymington, HAM, England....

Thanks for confirming that he was from Hampshire.

That record does not confirm he was from Hampshire, it is just from a transcription of one of the many records available, some of which also record the place as Leamington.

Debra  :)