Author Topic: William Hutchins convict  (Read 1721 times)

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Hutchins convict
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 04:03 GMT (UK) »
This is what I've found re his native place and date of birth:

Prison Hulk Register - Justitia 1821, William Hutchins aged 27; offence - stealing carpet; convicted Newington Qr Sessions 9 January 1821. Directly above his entry, also convicted for carpet stealing was William Young 34, so maybe a connection.

1828 Cert. of Freedom - native place does read as Lymington; date of birth 1799

24 Nov 1834 Sydney NSW Gaol Description & Entrance Book - William Hutchins, Adamant 1821; Native place Warwickshire; Protestant; Labourer; Parramatta then 2 yrs Moreton Bay

QLD Archives Chronological register of convicts at Moreton Bay, Alphabetical listing by surname of convicts' personal details, E-L, 1824-1839; and Chronological register of convicts at Moreton Bay (pg 90) http://www.archivessearch.qld.gov.au/Search/ItemDetails.aspx?ItemId=869689

This has his native place as Warwickshire and age as 39 in 1834

20 July 1837 Sydney NSW Gaol Description & Entrance Book - William Hutchins, Adamant 1821; Native place Leamington; Protestant; Servant; Trial; ? to Parramatta Stock???

A couple of these entries suggest a birth year of around 1795 and I think there's some weight for it being in Leamington, Warwickshire. Newspapers at the time refer to Leamington and Leamington Spa - not sure if these were the same place. There's a few William Hutchins born in Warwickshire around that time to check, a possible contender is one born to Robert and Eliz. Hutchins and baptised 23 August 1795 at Barford, about 6 miles out of Leamington Spa.

M

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hullo Majm,
Will do.
Regards
clancam37
thank you Clancam37 .... I am sure the OP will appreciate assistance from all, but I am confident this convict was in Sydney and surrounds, and did not venture far ... Bathurst and Argyle (Goulburn) seem to be his furthest until at least December 1836 and that second CF. 

If you have spare moments, please cast your eyes over the thread, fingers crossed your fresh eyes will see something we have not yet considered.

JM

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Hullo,
Majm mentioned Bathurst Gaol.  Ancestry.com.au have descriptive records from Bathurst Gaol. Physical details of prisoner, native place etc.
Will have a look on your behalf.  It seems he was mainly in what is today the State of NSW, however will search records here in Tasmania for any clues in the Colony.  Give me a few days to search the Archives in Hobart.
Regards
clancam37
This is what I've found re his native place and date of birth:

Prison Hulk Register - Justitia 1821, William Hutchins aged 27; offence - stealing carpet; convicted Newington Qr Sessions 9 January 1821. Directly above his entry, also convicted for carpet stealing was William Young 34, so maybe a connection.

1828 Cert. of Freedom - native place does read as Lymington; date of birth 1799

24 Nov 1834 Sydney NSW Gaol Description & Entrance Book - William Hutchins, Adamant 1821; Native place Warwickshire; Protestant; Labourer; Parramatta then 2 yrs Moreton Bay

QLD Archives Chronological register of convicts at Moreton Bay, Alphabetical listing by surname of convicts' personal details, E-L, 1824-1839; and Chronological register of convicts at Moreton Bay (pg 90) http://www.archivessearch.qld.gov.au/Search/ItemDetails.aspx?ItemId=869689

This has his native place as Warwickshire and age as 39 in 1834

20 July 1837 Sydney NSW Gaol Description & Entrance Book - William Hutchins, Adamant 1821; Native place Leamington; Protestant; Servant; Trial; ? to Parramatta Stock???

A couple of these entries suggest a birth year of around 1795 and I think there's some weight for it being in Leamington, Warwickshire. Newspapers at the time refer to Leamington and Leamington Spa - not sure if these were the same place. There's a few William Hutchins born in Warwickshire around that time to check, a possible contender is one born to Robert and Eliz. Hutchins and baptised 23 August 1795 at Barford, about 6 miles out of Leamington Spa.

M