Author Topic: Bare Bones tree for ancestry DNA  (Read 1536 times)

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bare Bones tree for ancestry DNA
« on: Sunday 18 November 18 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Good evening all
How do I do a barebones tree to link to my Ancestry DNA and what do I leave in it.
I use Family Tree Maker 2017 for Mac.
Thank you for your help
Nesta

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Bare Bones tree for ancestry DNA
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 November 18 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nesta

A bare bones tree for linking to a DNA test will contain the person who took the DNA test and their direct ancestors only (no spouses, siblings etc).  It should be accurate to the best of your knowledge - no speculation.  So not back to Adam & Eve.  If you know only that Granny was called Mary leave it at that, leave the surname field empty and don't guess at DoB or birthplace.  If Grandad married twice that's irrelevant, include only the woman who was the DNA tester's direct ancestor.  If a direct ancestor was adopted and their birth mother/father is unknown then that line has to stop at the adoptee, you don't attach the adoptive parents because this tree is about genetic inheritance.  Women should be included under their maiden (birth) names.  All individuals should have birth and death years where known, up to you if you include marriage info, and associated locations taken from Ancestry's own picklist, otherwise you end up with things you understand - Chapman county codes for example - being mapped to a different place entirely.   Ancestry has a US bias and someone born in Reading, Berkshire, England could end up being transported to Pennsylvania for instance.

If your tree doesn't extend back more than two or three generations it might be less labour-intensive to key in the info from scratch rather than try to manipulate data you already have.  That said, if you do want to extract a bare bones pedigree tree I can't give you instructions for FTM 2017 but I'm sure the principle isn't all that different from my antique FTM V6.

First of all take a backup of your existing tree so you have a safe copy to get back to it it all goes horribly wrong.

Now navigate to the person who took the DNA test and view their ancestor tree - any format is fine be it fan, standard or vertical.  Tweak the settings if necessary to include all the generations you reliably have - max for FTM6 is 99 generations.  Then export the individuals in the tree - in FTM6 it's in the file menu - saving the new tree under a meaningful name.  I tend to export as a GED which I then re-import, this gives you the opportunity to strip off all the fields you don't want (because all you really need is the basics, no notes, census info etc).  Whatever you decide, if the working tree you used as a source includes speculative generations in some lines, don't forget to delete those individuals.

If FTM2017 is the one that synchronises with Ancestry then go through whatever steps are required to upload your new pared down FTM2017 pedigree tree.  If it's not the version that syncs, or you prefer not to, export the pared down tree as a GED and upload that.

Once it's on Ancestry do check it.  You'll probably need to edit the majority of place-names so you don't have your ancestors in the wrong country or county, and that's why it can be quicker to start from scratch.  You can completely ignore hints for it, deal with those in your main tree.  The DNA tree will possibly grow as you extend the generations backwards - add individuals manually with just their names, births and deaths - but other than you can expect it to remain pretty static unless an NPE somewhere along the way throws the whole thing into doubt!

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 November 18 11:08 GMT (UK) »

Thank you very much Jane

Thats brilliant a great help

Nesta

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 November 18 12:26 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome  :)

Forgot to add - make it PUBLIC and SEARCHABLE.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 November 18 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 November 18 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Nesta, Genepro has links on their website to earlier versions of their product which are totally free and uncrippled. They allow you to specify a particular person in your tree and also how many generations away from that person you want included. It will then import just that part of your GEDCOM file which you can then subsequently save for uploading elsewhere.

MARTIN

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 November 18 15:05 GMT (UK) »
When tidying up place names, I find it convenient to edit the GEDCOM directly, in, say, Notepad.

You can search and replace "reading, berkshire" with "Reading, Berkshire, England", all in one go.

At the end, don't forget to replace ", England, England" with ", England" in case you had a mixture of styles!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.