Author Topic: Birth lookup for 1934  (Read 626 times)

Offline Sue Greene

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth lookup for 1934
« on: Monday 19 November 18 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Is there anyone on the list who has access to the Northern Ireland births after 1916 that could do a lookup for me.
I am looking for the birth of a Margaret Jane Taylor born 2 Mar 1934 in Ballymoney.
Margaret came to New Zealand 1958 she married here the same year.
According to her marriage certificate her parents were James and Mary Taylor. Mary's maiden surname on the marriage was recorded as Taylor.
There is a rumour that Margaret was a love child and Taylor is not her real name but need to see if there is a Margaret Jane Taylor registered in the births.
Appreciate any help.
Many thanks
Sue Greene

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth lookup for 1934
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 November 18 07:33 GMT (UK) »
Sue,

Births within the past 100 years in Northern Ireland are not generally available on-line. You can search for them in GRONI or PRONI in Belfast, but if you can’t get there, you would need to contact GRONI and ask them to do it for you.  Contact details for ringing or e-mailing GRONI:

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/contacts/contacts-az/general-register-office-northern-ireland

You can search on-line for marriages within the past 75 years, on the GRONI website. I searched for a James Taylor – Mary Taylor marriage 1922 – 1936 but did not see one.
Elwyn

Offline Sue Greene

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 November 18 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elwyn,
Thank you for your reply.
I did read on an Irish web site that some libraries do have microfiche of births after 1916.
I am not sure if our national Library in Wellington has them been a long time since I have been down there was hoping that perhaps someone on this list may have access that could do a lookup of the fiche.
Thank you for checking out the marriage. Interesting that you could not locate one. Back to the drawing board unless I can find a birth.
Regards
Sue

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 November 18 08:54 GMT (UK) »
A 1934 birth in Ballymoney, County Antrim would come under Northern Ireland and entirely different than records in the Republic of Ireland.

Note: there is more than one Ballymoney in County Antrim but it's most likely the registration district of Ballymoney which includes the town of Ballymoney.
https://www.townlands.ie/antrim/ballymoney/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 November 18 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Sue,

As Aghadowey has said, the records for Northern Ireland are different. The only place you will find a post 1922 birth in NI is in GRONI or PRONI, both in Belfast. PRONI has 4 computers linked to the GRONI system, which the public can use. These contain all the birth, adoption, death & marriage records, right up to those recorded yesterday. Nobody else has any copies, in paper format or on-line for post 1922 records. They are not in any library anywhere.

I have been in GRONI and overheard people phoning in for a copies of certificates that are not available on-line. You can pay by credit card over the phone even from New Zealand (you’ll just need to get the time of day right); or you can e-mail them and ask them to do it; or you could get a researcher in the Belfast area to search for you. Researchers in the PRONI & GRONI area: http://sgni.net
Elwyn