Author Topic: St Thomas Dudley parish records look up please 1700s  (Read 3895 times)

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
Re: St Thomas Dudley parish records look up please 1700s
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 01 December 18 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi There

When you say there was no will left where exactly did you look for one as his probate may have been Birmingham as he was from Walls End & could well of had family there who the probate could have been granted to

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline Mystorian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 December 18 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Phil,

I've searched all probate records available through Ancestry and Find My Past, and the National Archives, and found nothing for him. While he was related to the Hall End Lakin's I think he may have been a 'poorer cousin'. It was his sister Mary who married into that family (married James Lakin in 1747). His older brother Thomas seems to have been very successful, as his will is extensive and he leaves considerable assets and money to his nephews and nieces, including Benjamin's children. My thought was that Benjamin's family connections would have meant a good marriage, so Mary (Green) may have come from a good background. One can only guess.

Thanks for your suggestion. Perhaps there is a will out there somewhere for him, just not in online records.

Kelly.

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kelly

The first thing I did was look for the marriage & here is the full entry
Page53 25AUG1767
Benjamin Lakin (B) of Tamwoth = Mary Green (S) of the parish of Dudley

Curate J. Cartwright

Wits - Thos Bolton, Mary Bolton, Sam Hodgetts

So far this is all I've been able to find in Dudley st Thomas & have made an 4 hour search
21MAY1747 Sarah d/o Joseph/Ann GREEN
26SEP1748 John s/o       "  /    "       "
9DEC1739 Benjamin s/o  " /     "       "
8OCT1747 Mary d/o James/Sarah     "
19MAR1748 Saml s/o   "   /    "         "
11AUG1740 William William s/o John/Frances GREEN
16JUL1735 Mary d/o                    "  /     "          "
5NOV1738 Joseph s/o Joseph/Mary                    "
3JUN1734 Benjamin s/o   "   /   "                       "
23DEC1746 James GREEN = Sarah WOODALL by Banns Page 247

I hope this may prove to be some help to you

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 December 18 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again Kelly

I forgot to put this on yesterday - I also looked at the will index books at the HIVE but could find no mention of there being a will in Worcestershire for Benjamin nor could I find an MI for Benjamin or Mary so I wonder if when they were married did they possibly move to Benjamin's home town, its food for thought isnt it & you may find a Will in Birmingham Central library or Warwickshire record office but I can't help with that sorry

All the very best

Phil
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline Mystorian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 January 19 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello Phil,

Thank you for spending the time at The Hive, I am most grateful to you. I will keep these in my records and hopefully I can find a way to make a positive link with Mary.

Benjamin did return to Tamworth with Mary at some stage, though there is no baptism there for their eldest daughter Elizabeth (my ancestor) there are records for subsequent children.

Thanks once again,

Kelly.

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 January 19 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kelly

I should be going to the HIVE again on Tuesday so will have another look at the registers for St Thomas starting soon after the marriage of Benjamin Lakin & Elizabeth to see if I can find the baptism for your Elizabeth there C 1768 & iff found will see if there are any more baptisms for their children there.

All the very best

Phil
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline Mystorian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 January 19 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Phil,

You are so very kind, thank you.

Benjamin was a non-conformist and his family in Tamworth were associated with the Cole Hill Presbyterian church. Benjamin and Mary's first child baptised in Tamworth was Ann in 1775, followed by Thomas 1779 and Mary 1781. There may be others between 1768-1775 but not at any church in Tamworth. The eldest (that I know of), Elizabeth, was born about 1769.

As Benjamin and Mary married at St Thomas it is quite possible children were baptised there. I suppose when they went back to Benjamin's hometown they decided on joining the Presbyterian congregation to which the wider Lakin family belonged.

Thanks again,

Kelly.

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 January 19 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kelly

I made my last visit to the HIVE this holiday & searched the registers of Dudley St Thomas from the year Benjamin & Mary were married till 3 years arter the event but was unable to find any baptisms for their children & would have thought that one would have shown up by the end of 1801 so came to the conclusion that they just got married at St Thomas & may well have lived in another of the Dudley parishes for a while - unfortunately very few parishes have their records lodged at the HIVE but I believe that a full set of Dudley parish registers are held at Dudley Library so wonder if its worth you contacting them for a look up but I don't know what they would charge for this so would advise you firstly to put another look up request on Roots Chat pages heading Is anyone planning to visit Dudley Library as I would love a look up there (or something like that). I wish I could be more help to you but I plan to travel home on Sunday & wont be in the county of my birth again till April all being well.

Good luck with your research & I hope you find the children of Benjamin & Mary

All the very best

Phil

ps please excuse any errors as I didn't check through this posting before sending it
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 January 19 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kelly

I just had a thought & as I should be coming up to Worcestershire again in APR I can have a look at the non com registers for Dudley that I hope are held at the HIVE but could you please remind me of this early in April as my memory isn't what it use to be as I've been using it for 75 years  :)

All the very best

Phil
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell