Author Topic: Joseph Conroy born 20 January 1849 England - what happened to him, please?  (Read 1464 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Conroy born 20 January 1849 England - what happened to him, please?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 07:27 GMT (UK) »
On the death notice for one surviving daughter of 'New Castle' - is this a place in America or might they be referring to Newcastle in Northumberland?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 15:58 GMT (UK) »
New Castle is a town Northwest of Pittsburgh, PA near the Ohio border. Wellsville, Ohio is west of Pittsburgh, PA near the Pennsylvania boarder.

I think the daughter (Mrs. George McCord) is named Mary Jane.

There is a Mary Jane Conroy (b. 10 Oct. 1880 England) residing in Jeanette, PA  marrying a George M. McCord (b. 27 June 1877 Wellsville, Oh) in 1904

Marriage: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2VW3-V4G

======================

George's WWI Draft Card names his wife as Mary Jane and they are living in Newcastle , PA

WWI Draft: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K6VR-YLX

In 1920 George is listed as divorced and back in Wellsville, OH.

1920 census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MDBW-MBD

It appears George must have remarried another Mary . His WWII Draft card list his wife as Mary as does his death record in 1953. His obit in 1953 states he leaves a widow Mrs. Mary Hood McCord. No children mentioned just siblings and nephews/nieces.

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Could this be that Mary Jane?

Birth: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2XJS-1YR

====
EDIT ADDED-

I think this is Mary Jane in the 1900 census listed a Jamie Conroy. It looks like "Jannie" to me. Born Oct 1880 England and living in same place as John & Margret were in the 1900 census.

1900 census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M341-L4W

Just noticed on the 1900 census for John & Margaret that Margaret states she has 3 living children. One child must have died between 1900 and 1922 when John died.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 16:59 GMT (UK) »
This is so kind of you to find out all this extra for me!

I will be looking at the GRO website to check out of this Mary Jane had a Mother with maiden name of Hinds or Hines.

Oh so New Castle is in America - if it was the Newcastle in Northumberland (now Tyne and Wear) I would have been able to search more on her locally. 

By the way these are the birthdates of all the Conroy siblings in Joseph and John's birth family if this might be helpful to anyone else: :)

Mary 15 January 1847
Joseph 20 January 1849
Simon Peter 4 June 1851 (My Great Grandfather)
James 19 February 1853
John 17 March 1855
Michael 11 August 1857
Thomas 15 December 1859
Catherine 17 February 1862
Elizabeth 7 May 1864

Catherine and Elizabeth died very young and are on the death registers at St Mary RC Church, Hexham.

Thank you so much RJ137 - it is great to have found out so much more and all through your help. :)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Just to add the GRO website shows that Mary Jane's Mother's maiden name was Hines.  Her birth was registered in Lanchester  1880 Vol 10A Page 269.

Elizabeth was also registered in Lanchester in 1883 - so both daughters were born here before they headed off to America.

I have checked FamilySearch and it would appear that Elizabeth was baptised at Esh (Lanchester) in an RC Church.