Author Topic: Joseph Conroy born 20 January 1849 England - what happened to him, please?  (Read 1441 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My Great Grandfather's (Simon Peter Conroy) brother was called Joseph Conroy.  He was born in Morpeth, Northumberland on 20 January 1849 and baptized on 11 February at St Robert RC Church Morpeth.
His parents were James Conroy and Elizabeth Conroy nee Fitzpatrick.

He married on 5 February 1874 to Bridget Conway at St Mary RC Church in Newcastle upon Tyne.  I have come across a certificate of death for whom I believe is their daughter -Mary McClelland June 26th 1928 in the county of Allegheny in America.

Joseph's brother James Conroy also emigrated to America and settled in Pennsylvannia with his wife Rose.  I have been able to find out the end story of James but now would like to know more about what happened to Joseph, if this might be possible?

I was wondering if anyone might know what became of Joseph and where he may be buried?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Conroy born 20 January 1849 England - what happened to him, please?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 November 18 15:05 GMT (UK) »
In the 1920 census a Joseph Conroy is listed as a boarder living with Mary McClelland and her family.

1920 census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M6B6-93R

He died in 1921.

Name:    Joseph Conroy
Birth Date:    abt 1851
Birth Place:    England
Death Date:    7 Jul 1921
Death Place:    Braddock, Allegheny, Pennsylvania, USA
Father:    James Conroy
Mother:    Conroy

DC: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01n23/

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 November 18 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank You!!  So perhaps Joseph and James' family may have been relatively close.

James had quite a gruesome death at the mine he worked at - apparently he fell into some machinery and got mangled. :o

I can't quite make out the cause of death totally .. but I think it might be due to kidney trouble, perhaps?  And is the contributory .. fly drops?

Joseph's Father James died on 24 August 1876 and was buried in Durham, England on 27 August 1876.  Burial entry Our Lady & St Joseph, Brooms, Durham.

RJ137 I am very grateful for this information you have found for me. :D
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 November 18 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if a death notice may have been placed for Joseph?  I know the American notices seem to list family members who 'survived' the person.  My Great Grandfather Simon Peter Conroy did not die until 1922 in Gosforth, England - I wonder if he may have been named as a family 'survivor' in  any such notice?

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 November 18 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Not sure what this means? or anything?

On Joseph's DC the informant was a Elizabeth Richardson, address Jeanette, PA.

Here is that Elizabeth Richardson in the 1910/1920 census. It appears her maiden name was  Conroy. Does the mother-in-law Margaret Conroy ring a bell?

1910 Census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MGHD-6FR

1920 census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M6B7-9VL

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 November 18 15:46 GMT (UK) »
No, unfortunately this does not ring any bells at the moment.  So if Margaret was a married woman she would have married someone called Conroy.  However ..

Joseph's Father James had a sister called Margaret but she was born in England not Scotland.

James the father was almost hanged during a trial in 1856 in Newcastle upon Tyne which was known as 'The Matfen Murder'.  He was charged with murdering his landlady.  Margaret was later sent to the Hexham house of correction for attacking one of the witnesses at the trial.  After that Margaret disappears and I have never been able to find that one.  I might add that James was acquitted of the murder. 

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 November 18 15:55 GMT (UK) »
A few more bits & pieces.

Margaret died in 1928. Informant was Elizabeth Richardson

Name:    Margaret Conroy
Birth Date:    31 Dec 1860
Birth Place:    Scotland
Death Date:    16 Mar 1928
Death Place:    Jeannette, Westmoreland, Pennsylvania, USA
Father:    John P Hines
Spouse:    John P Conroy

=====================

Elizabeth died in 1938. She was divorced from William.

Name:    Elizabeth Richardson
Birth Date:    abt 1884
Birth Place:    England
Death Date:    3 Oct 1938
Death Place:    Hempfield, Westmoreland, Pennsylvania, USA
Father:    John Conroy
Mother:    Margaret Hines
Spouse:    William Richardson

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 November 18 15:57 GMT (UK) »
No, it cannot be that one as the Margaret on the American census was born 1855.

I will have to think about this one .. ???

What a puzzler .. Margaret Conroy must be in some way connected to Joseph .. since her daughter was the informant.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 November 18 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Joseph also had a brother John who was born on 17 March 1855 in England.  I have never been able to pin point his end story either.  However, he was only John Conroy with no P in his name. ???

This is certainly giving me something to puzzle over.