Author Topic: John Dyer  (Read 1493 times)

Online HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Dyer
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 22 November 18 17:28 GMT (UK) »
It is the MN lapel badge. Issued to MN personnel to show they were not avoiding the draft. Sadly it did not prevent the white feather from some who were ignorant of a young man in civilian clothing during wartime. The MN lost more men per capita than any of the fighting services.
Regards
Hugh
Looking again it is not the actual badge issued at the time but similar.
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline chrisdyer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 22 November 18 17:36 GMT (UK) »
It is the MN lapel badge. Issued to MN personnel to show they were not avoiding the draft. Sadly it did not prevent the white feather from some who were ignorant of a young man in civilian clothing during wartime. The MN lost more men per capita than any of the fighting services.
Regards
Hugh
[
I don't understand why my Dad had this on his jacket if he was in the RN working on Merchant ships.
He had it on a jacket that he wore with his D.E.M.S badge on the breast pocket when he went to any parades in London.  Just thought, would he have worn it when he was out in civvies during war time?

Online HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 22 November 18 18:34 GMT (UK) »
I am sure he would have worn it because he was proud to have served alongside the MN. It would not have been lost on him the sacrifices of men and ships at that time. Many D.E.M.S gunners were lost too. Brave men all of them. I think he would have obtained this badge after the war. The original was a little different.
Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO