Author Topic: John Dyer  (Read 1475 times)

Offline chrisdyer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Dyer
« on: Monday 19 November 18 14:54 GMT (UK) »
My father said he was in the Merchant Navy 1942 - 1946, but I have just found some papers that say royal Navy.  I think he was a rear gunner.   I was trying to find what ships he was on. On the sheet I've found it has - "Glendower", "Wellesley" would these be in inverted commas as they were training ships?  Then I have President 111; Drake; Drake1V; Drake. I looked on the War record site but could find nothing. Are you able to see where these ships would have sailed & any info on them at all
My granddaughter is doing a project for uni & wanted some information.  Do you know how to find what war medals he should have?
Thank you

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: John Dyer
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 November 18 14:59 GMT (UK) »
If he served in the Royal Navy then his service papers will be with the MOD, not online. How to apply for a copy:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 November 18 16:50 GMT (UK) »
All the "ships" you mention are shore establishments.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 November 18 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 November 18 17:11 GMT (UK) »
My guess is he served as a Royal Navy DEMS Gunner. DEMS means Defensively Equipped Merchant Ship.
 HMS WELLESLEY was an on shore training base for DEMS gunners PRESIDENT III was an on shore accounting establishment. DEMS Gunners would have been attached for purposes of pay.
DRAKE was a RN Barracks at Portsmouth and DRAKE 1V was another on shore accounting establishment. GLENDOWER was a on shore Training Establishment at Pwllheli.
You should take nanny jans advice and apply for his Royal Navy service records. This may take sometime anything up to a year.
Meanwhile can you give us your dads full name, date and place of birth. There is an off chance he has some Merchant Navy record.
DEMS are always difficult to research. They were on the Crew Agreement of the Merchant ships they sailed on, for legal reasons, they are recorded as Deck Hands and paid the nominal sum of a Shilling a day. Usually no records of these merchant ships were kept by the RN. You can however trace DEMS via MN Crew Agreements but it's not an easy task.
Medals. Depends on were he served and when.
Get hold of his RN records. There may be victualling arrangements which may tell you the MN ships he sailed on together with dates and places of engagement and discharge.

Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline chrisdyer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 November 18 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  He was in the DEMS.  His name was John Dyer born in Airdrie, Scotland 29/03/1924

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 November 18 17:32 GMT (UK) »
As expected there are no Merchant Navy records for him online. When you get his Royal Navy records from the MOD. Come back to us.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline chrisdyer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 14:37 GMT (UK) »
All the "ships" you mention are shore establishments.

Imber
Thank you.  I have printed the info regarding The Merchant Gunners.  Very interesting.

Offline chrisdyer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 November 18 10:27 GMT (UK) »
I have attached a photo of my Dad & comrades sitting round a table - 2 questions
My Dad was Merchant Navy, what is the other uniform in the photo. He paid a lot to have this photo made good so it was obviously important to him.
What was "PET MILK"?