Author Topic: COMPLETED: BIRTH c.1853 / CENSUS 1881 onwards - BAUM (Henry James)  (Read 1585 times)

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETED: BIRTH c.1853 / CENSUS 1881 onwards - BAUM (Henry James)
« on: Monday 19 November 18 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello lovely people,

I am afraid I have hit a brick wall looking for Henry James Baum's birth record, and have been unable to find him in 1881 and beyond. He disappears after 1871 and the rest of his family seem to disappear after 1881. I have tried a few different tricks to get around the fact that the name is often poorly transcribed and/or enumerated but would very much appreciate another few pairs of eyes for this.

For context:
Henry James's parents were married 25 May 1853 in Swithland, Leicestershire. His father Edward (b.1833) who is from Swithland but resident in Nottingham at the time of his marriage dies when Henry James is 4 years old, the same year his younger brother John Harold is born at Measham (a place that is variously in Warwickshire/Derbyshire/Leicestershire depending on the census).

In 1861 Henry James Baum is with his grandparents in Kibworth Harcourt, where the census says he was born (after his father's death, his mother had to go back to working in service). I have confirmed that he and John Harold are brothers through their wedding certificates.

Daniel   Swingler   Head   Married   Male   64   1797   Agricultural Labourer   Kibworth Harcourt, Leicestershire, England   
Elizabeth   Swingler   Wife   Married   Female   62   1799   -   Knighton, Leicestershire, England   
Henry   Baum   Grandson   -   Male   9   1852   Scholar   Kibworth Harcourt, Leicestershire, England   
John   Baum   Grandson   -   Male   4   1857   -   Warwickshire, England

Henry James marries Elizabeth Lord Waring on 23 Oct 1871. I can find neither of them in the census earlier on in that year. He is listed as living at 81 Guthlaxton ST at that time and she is listed as living at 53 Upper Conduit St. He is working as a Warehouseman.

The family are at 3 Gresham Street, Leicester St Margaret, Leicester, in the 1881 census. Sadly the copy is a really, really poor quality one and very difficult to read and check, but it has been transcribed as follows:

Elizabeth   Baum   Head   Married   Female   31   1850   Cosby, Leicestershire, England   Hose Mender   
Ellen Elizabeth   Baum   Daughter   Single   Female   8   1873   Leicester, Leicestershire, England   Scholar   
Arthur Harold   Baum   Son   Single   Male   6   1875   Leicester, Leicestershire, England   Scholar   
Emma   Mathinson   Visitor   Married   Female   37   1844   Cosby, Leicestershire, England   -   
Lillian   Mathinson   Visitor   Single   Female   8   1873   Manchester, Lancashire, England   Scholar   
Frederick   Mathinson   Visitor   Single   Male   2   1879   United States

I'm quite surprised to see the little visitor from the United States!

I know Henry James's brother John Harold is listed as a solider on his marriage cert in 1883 - still don't know where he was serving, but I suppose it's possible that they signed up at the same time but I can't find any trace of him.

I have no idea where his family end up either.

Any and all help appreciated. If I've failed to explain something clearly, please ask!

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BIRTH c.1853 / CENSUS 1881 onwards - BAUM (Henry James)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 November 18 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth and the children in 1891 (original shows BAUM).  She still considers herself married.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:WDJ1-96Z

Debra  :)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 November 18 23:48 GMT (UK) »
You may already have these but just in case.....

Elizabeth Lord Baum wife of Henry James
Died 9 Feb 1923 5 French Road Leicester
Death Place:   Leicestershire, England
Probate Date:   6 Apr 1923 to Robert Orton

Elizabeth L Baum married   50 Cosby Leicester
Ellen L W Baum   dau 28
John B Hickens   30
1901c RG13; Piece: 2991; Folio: 135; Page: 2
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth and the children in 1891 (original shows BAUM).  She still considers herself married.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:WDJ1-96Z

Thank you so much for working your magic! Really appreciate it. A second pair of eyes really helps. I wonder where Henry James has got off to!

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 00:05 GMT (UK) »
You may already have these but just in case.....

Elizabeth Lord Baum wife of Henry James
Died 9 Feb 1923 5 French Road Leicester
Death Place:   Leicestershire, England
Probate Date:   6 Apr 1923 to Robert Orton

Elizabeth L Baum married   50 Cosby Leicester
Ellen L W Baum   dau 28
John B Hickens   30
1901c RG13; Piece: 2991; Folio: 135; Page: 2

Thank you so much for these - will try and get a look at the probate if I can to see if there are any clues as to what's happened to Henry James!

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 00:18 GMT (UK) »
I am afraid I have hit a brick wall looking for Henry James Baum's birth record

The information you have about Henry James suggests that he was born prior to the 1853 marriage.

SWINGLER, HENRY  JAMES COSTOBAIDE
No mother's maiden name indexed
GRO Reference: 1852  J Quarter in STRAND  Volume 01B  Page 342

Henry James SWINGLER
Baptism Date:    5 Dec 1852
Baptism Place:    Saint Michael,Coventry,Warwick,England
Father:    James Custobada Swingler
Mother:    Ann
FHL Film Number:    502206, 549659

James was married and living in Warwickshire so Ann most likely went to London to have the child.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Daughter of Henry James Baum and Elizabeth was named Ellen Louisa Waring Baum - birth reg'd Dec.1872 Leicester - not Ellen Elizabeth as on 1881 census.   1891 and 1901 both show her as Ellen L W and in Sept.1904 she married a George Herbert Green as Nellie Louisa W Baum.

Looks like mother Elizabeth is living with the Green's in 1911.

Regardless of what is shown on 1861 census, I believe that Henry James was born in London.   He is shown as bc.1852 which is the year before his parents married so birth should be in mmn of Swingler.   Births show a Henry James CostoBaide (?) Swingler in Jun.qtr.1852 Strand, London.   1871 Census shows a Henry Baum  bc.1851 London in St. Cuthberts, Bedford and his occupation is Warehouseman which is the same occupation as when Henry James Baum married later that year.  I feel sure that the HJ Swingler birth 1852 Strand, London is your HJ Baum.

Annette

See that Dundee has found HJ as Swingler too but will post anyway as this includes details of his daughter.

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 01:04 GMT (UK) »

James was married and living in Warwickshire....

I think the 1851 census may be incorrect, and Fanny COSTOBADIE is actually James' unmarried sister, not his wife.  He married in 1852 to Laura KINGSTON.

https://www.antill.org.uk/getperson.php?personID=I70233&tree=1

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 03:55 GMT (UK) »
When James COSTOBADIE married in 1852 he was of Kibworth Hall.  The actual people who lived there were John Burgoyne HUMPHREY and his wife Charlotte who were also visiting the BRETT family with James in 1851.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGZR-H6H

I cannot find a census return for Kibworth Hall in 1851, nor can I see Ann SWINGLER anywhere, so she may have been a servant at the Hall and it has been missed by the enumerator.

http://www.kibworthchronicle.com/articles/368kibhall.htm

John Burgoyne is incorrectly named in that article as 'John Benjamin'.