Author Topic: What became of John Nigel Edensor Fenton-Livingstone?  (Read 3550 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
What became of John Nigel Edensor Fenton-Livingstone?
« on: Monday 19 November 18 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Livingstone Fenton-Livingstone married Christian Margaret Waddell in 1855 in Edinburgh. They had five sons, three of whom died young. The other two were John Nigel Edensor Fenton-Livingston, born 1859, and George Frederick James Fenton-Livingston, born 1860 died 1907.

John married Elizabeth Margaret (Elma) MacDougall of Ardincaple in New York in 1892. They had two sons and a daughter. In 1904 both sued for divorce on grounds of the other's adultery, and the divorce was granted in 1905. He got custody of the sons and she of the daughter. Elma married her co-respondent in 1906, and died in Hove in 1920. John didn't marry the mother of his illegitimate child; she married someone else and died in Glasgow in 1960.

I have plenty of information about George and his family, and I have information about John's sons and their families.

What I am struggling with is what became of John Nigel Edensor Fenton-Livingstone.

He had a successful Army career, during which he fought in the Boer War, and became a Justice of the Peace.

He and his brother were involved in a court case over which was entitled to succeed to their maternal grandfather's estate of Easter Moffat under the terms of the marriage contract between their parents and their maternal grandfather. The Lords agreed that their grandfather's intention was that George should get Wester Moffat.

Part of John's own inheritance, Bedlormie, was sold to meet their father's debts in their father's lifetime, and John assisted their father financially to secure West Quarter. However in 1909 John was sequestrated and West Quarter too was sold. After that I have found no trace of him. He didn't die in New Zealand, I can't find anything about him in Trove, Papers Past, or the British Newspaper Archive and he isn't in the FamilySearch index to the USA census unless I have missed something. A web search turns up nothing. The only hint is that there is a history of West Quarter that says he died before his ex-wife. That puts his death some time between 1909 and 1920.

What am I missing?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What became of John Nigel Edensor Fenton-Livingstone?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 November 18 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Have we have a thread about him before?  Oddly my iPad autofills “-Livingstone” if I type in Fenton.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 00:48 GMT (UK) »
No, but there was one about his father's baptism.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=548103

I did search the archive before posting, just in case there was one already.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Might this be him in Chiswick in 1911?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW49-QFV

The signature reveals him to be "J Fenton-Livingstone, major"
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 09:49 GMT (UK) »
CHARGE AGAINST A MAJOR. John Nigel Fenton Livingstone 64 retired officer, on bail, was indicted for obtaining by false pretences with intent to defraud from Alfred ........

(Chelmsford Chronicle 6 April 1923, page 5)

Stirlingshire JP Charged at Southend. Major Nigel Fenton Livingstone (62), staying temporarily at Kensington Read, Southend, stated to be Justice of the Peace for Stirling, was committed for trial...

(Falkirk Herald 10 March 1923)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Having failed to make restitution in the time that the court had allowed him, he was sentenced to six months in prison ( Chelmsford Chronicle 6 July 1923, Falkirk Herald 7 July 1923).

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 11:10 GMT (UK) »
CHARGE AGAINST A MAJOR. John Nigel Fenton Livingstone 64 retired officer, on bail, was indicted for obtaining by false pretences with intent to defraud from Alfred ........

(Chelmsford Chronicle 6 April 1923, page 5)

Stirlingshire JP Charged at Southend. Major Nigel Fenton Livingstone (62), staying temporarily at Kensington Read, Southend, stated to be Justice of the Peace for Stirling, was committed for trial...

(Falkirk Herald 10 March 1923)

It looks as though he and his companions, “Mrs Havelock and a girl” had been boarding in Southend boarding houses since May 1921, promising that they would soon be in funds to make payment for food and accommodation, but payment never materialised.  The longest spell had been spent in rooms let by Alfred Pearce, a carpenter, who was owed some £157 accrued over a year and a half.

The Major did not have any Army pension because his service over some 20 years had been broken.

Mrs Havelock was from Deal, where she and her husband had kept a boarding house at which the Major had boarded after he left the Army.  Mr Havelock’s health was poor, and when he was committed to an asylum the business failed and the Major took Mrs Havelock to Southend.  According to the reports, they “went as man and wife from 1919”.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Wow! Thank you for all that. Yes, the 1911 is him (wonder why my search failed to find it?). Violet Stairmand was actually his daughter. No idea who Hoy is but I suppose he would have had to employ a housekeeper/companion/governess for the child.

I am struggling to understand why, having searched for given name Fenton and surname Livingston, I did not find the results you have since found for me ???

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Some military info for him from 1914 www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/28916/supplement/7660/data.pdf

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk