Author Topic: What became of John Nigel Edensor Fenton-Livingstone?  (Read 3552 times)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: What became of John Nigel Edensor Fenton-Livingstone?
« Reply #19 on: Monday 24 August 20 08:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks, barryd. Interesting.

Especially a brother 'Gust J Lewington' who doesn't appear in the birth indexes or in any census with the rest of his family.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 24 August 20 10:12 BST (UK) »

1871 Gust J Lewington 10y Scholar ( and others )
20 Royal Circus,685/1 St George, Edinburgh St Stephens, Midlothian
ED:   77,  House:   11, Line: 14, Roll: CSSCT1871_157
Line above is John NE Lewington 11y
Plus others [ Parents Thomas LF, Christine M, Bro Charles H ]
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 24 August 20 10:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks, [Ray].

I assume that that is a transcription from Ancestry. Only they could ****** up a transcription to that extent. No wonder I couldn't find any mention of Gust J Lewington in any primary sources.

The original is a bit messy but it is George F J. And as for how they got Lewington, goodness only knows. 

FindMyPast's transcription got it right.

See attached.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ARobbins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting, I will have a good read of this thread as my 4th great grandmother was Anne Livingstone who married Rev John Fenton and won a court case thus her Fenton children were able to inherit her father's estate at Bedlormie. My grandmother was Eveline Katherine Fenton.  :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Yes, there is certainly plenty of material about that court case - a very interesting one.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 17:23 GMT (UK) »
While on the topic of the Fenton-Livingstone family, I see from the 1911 census that, following her mother's divorce and remarriage to Alfred Nicholson Sanderson, daughter Janet Grace, born 1899, is listed in the 1911 census as Janet G Sanderson, and that a Janet G Sanderson, aged 20, travelled to Singapore in October 1919, interning to live permanently in Malaya.

I can't find any reference to her in the Australia, New Zealand or Singapore newspapers, or in fact anywhere else, so I can't be sure that the one who travelled to Singapore is JNEF-L's daughter.

Has anyone else come across her anywhere after 1919?

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian

You obviously saw the John in Salford 3rdQ 1933 whose age (74), matches his birth and pondered.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I didn't ponder long.

Apart from the difference in spelling, the absence of any middle initials, and the possible candidate in the 1939 Register, the grant of probate was to a William Livingston and Margaret Kerridge née Livingston who appear to be the children of John Livingston and Margaret Hagan. So I concluded that he isn't JNEF-L.