Author Topic: What became of John Nigel Edensor Fenton-Livingstone?  (Read 3549 times)

Offline Jackfenton321

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What became of John Nigel Edensor Fenton-Livingstone?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 15 January 21 19:09 GMT (UK) »
I haven’t done much background into my surname just the odd google, but I am Fenton-livingstone I remember my parents telling me about a book with our family history but I was never allowed to look at it. I can go back as far as my granddad who was a John fenton-livingstone but I have nothing else. I know I came across some war medals from the First World War but I don’t no much else

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 15 January 21 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Without naming anyone who may be alive (data protection/privacy rules here on RC), why not include some names and dates here so people can see where your line may fit in with the people discussed here?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 15 January 21 22:57 GMT (UK) »

From a website called Geni

What became of John Nigel Edensor Fenton-Livingstone ...www.rootschat.com › forum
Nov 19, 2018 — CHARGE AGAINST A MAJOR. John Nigel Fenton Livingstone 64 retired officer, on bail, was indicted for obtaining by false pretences with intent to ...

Lt John Nigel Edensor Fenton-Livingstone (1859 - d ... - Geniwww.geni.com › people › Lt-John-Fenton-Livingstone
Dec 2, 2016 —
Genealogy for Lt John Nigel Edensor Fenton-Livingstone (1859 - d.) family tree on Geni, with over 200 million profiles of ancestors and living ...

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 16 January 21 00:06 GMT (UK) »
I think some of the information on Geni may have originated with me, though I didn't put it there, and there are several discrepancies between the information I have and the information on Geni.  For example Geni says that John Nigel Edensor was born in New York (not true; he was born in Edinburgh), and that he had a brother Gust J Lewington (this is garbage; it is from a misreading of the census records for George J Fenton-Livingstone - see an earlier post in this thread).

JackFenton321, if you post a couple more messages here, we will be able to make contact by Personal Message.

What do the First World War medals tell you?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jackfenton321

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 17 January 21 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello thanks for the reply, in reference to names all I know is that my father who inherited the name Andrew John fenton-livingstone born in 1959 he was adopted from my grandfather and grandmother I don’t really remember them but I know my grandfather name was John fenton-livingstone in regards to the war medals there are numerous battle medals I didn’t do much research as was a bit of a hot topic with my father, if my family is somehow connected with the previous names mentioned Ill find it quite promising as I also served in the Royal Navy

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 13 February 21 17:03 GMT (UK) »
HI All

Fascinating article below

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0000468/19081202/048/0005

Falkirk Herald

Yours Aye
BruceL

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 13 February 21 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Bruce.

What was the date of the article? I access the BNA via FindMyPast and the link doesn't work for me - it just produces a request to cough up for direct access to the BNA.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 13 February 21 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian

Date  Wednesday 02 December 1908

Very interesting lineage

Yours Aye
BruceL

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 13 February 21 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, Bruce. Yes, very interesting.

There are a couple of newsworthy episodes in the family, including a famous case about marriage with deceased wife's sister in 1855, and the prominent double divorce in 1904. Not forgetting the litigation between brothers about who was to succeed to Easter Moffat.