Author Topic: What became of John Nigel Edensor Fenton-Livingstone?  (Read 3551 times)

Offline Franh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What became of John Nigel Edensor Fenton-Livingstone?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 August 20 16:07 BST (UK) »
I think I have news of John, I believe him to be the father of Violet daughter of my gt gt Aunt, she worked in the family home and Violet is staying with John on the 1911 census in London, where she is attending school.  I believe he died in London in 1940,  i have photos of Violet and her mother. 

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 August 20 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Franh, and welcome to RootsChat.

I am delighted to have news of the errant John.

Following information in this thread, I found the 1911 census, and then the birth of Violet Marina Melrose Stairmand, daughter of Wilhelmina Stairmand, on 9 September 1897 in Edinburgh, and I have a note of Wilhelmina's subsequent marriage to Andrew Cowe and her death in Glasgow.

I think Violet may have married George M Wight in 1915, but I have not found her after that.

I still cannot find the death of John Nigel Edensor Fenton-Livingstone in London or anywhere else, however.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Franh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 August 20 18:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for the reply, its great to hear confirmation of some of the stories I heard from mygran.  The story in our family was that Wilhelmina/Minnie had Violet, the daughter of a son of the family she worked for. This ties in with Minnie being in 1901 In the Mansion House Grangemouth, as a Housekeeper which I beleive was the home of the Livingstones.  I am sure my gran told me that Violet was born deaf, and Died after being hit by a bus.  I didn’t know she had married, I cant find any trace of Minnie in 1891, do you know where she was?  I found a John Livingstone on the 1939 Register with an approximate birth date at St Francis Hospital Constance Rd East Dulwich. S. E. 22, and a death for a John Livingstone in 1940 in Camberwell. 

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 August 20 20:28 BST (UK) »
There is a death registration of Violet M.M Stairmand, aged 44, in 1940 in Haymarket.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Franh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 August 20 20:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for the info on Violet, I could never find her death, I've just fiound it on ScotlandsPeople, she did indeed die after being run over by a motor bus, so sad. 

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 August 20 21:11 BST (UK) »
There are lots of newspaper reports about the double divorce process of J N E Fenton-Livingstone, many of which mention Wilhelmina Stairmand and say that she was the mother of his child. His wife sued for divorce on grounds of adultery, and he counter-sued on the grounds of her adultery with the man to whom she had previously been engaged before meeting JNEF-L, and whom she married after the divorces.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 August 20 21:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that. I had discovered that Violet M M Stearman who married in 1915 was the wrong one.

In 1901 she was in the mansion house of Westquarter in Polmont, parish of Grangemouth, which was indeed the home of the Fenton-Livingstone family.

The John Livingstone in the 1939 Register in Camberwell is listed as born on 11 July 1858. JNEF-L was born on 11 August 1859, but I suppose if he was, as described, 'incapacitated' the hospital might easily have mistaken his DoB. Such a pity that English death certificates are so uninformative, unlike Scottish ones which name the spouse(s) and parents of the deceased. Though if he was mentally incapacitated and in an institution, even a Scottish one might not contain the full details.

Offline Franh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 23 August 20 21:42 BST (UK) »
OK so now I’m off to look for the newspaper reports, I always had my suspicions that Violet was living with her father in 1911, I wonder if she ever knew, I hadn’t realised it was in the newspapers, i thought it was a family ‘secret’, are you related at all to the Stairmands/Livingstone families Forfarian? Thanks for all the info/replies, Fran

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 23 August 20 22:06 BST (UK) »
I am very distantly related to JNEF-L through his mother, but not to the Stairmands.