Author Topic: Help with three words and a surname  (Read 2842 times)

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Help with three words and a surname
« Reply #18 on: Friday 23 November 18 18:48 GMT (UK) »

Something I spotted by chance: there's an entry in the repertories 14 Dec 1603 ordering that Elizabeth Curson, widow, may sell seacoals provided for the poor by retail at five pence the bushel.

Hi Claire

In my two Volumes of The Rise of the British Coal Industry by J. U. Neff, in Volume Two

Vol ii, page 31 ,says: ..."in the chief enterprises in Weardale,1  those of John Curzon, a trader at Nottingham in Elizabeth's reign, in Leicetershire, mines, 2  suggest that there were few English colliery districts in which provincial merchants took no part in financing mines.3"

1 Palat. of Durham, Decrees and Orders, vol. i, f.533 ; Exch. Decrees, Series IV, vol. viii, f. 88 ; vol. ix, f. 24b (for Lilburne) ; Palat. of Durham, Bills and Answers, bdl. 24 (Parkingson v. Lee).

2 Chanc. Proc., Eliz., O. 1/40. (Chancery Proceedings)

Abbreviations
Palat. of Durham - Palatinate of Durham.
Exch. - Exchequer

3 is the author's impression suggesting that scores of provincial merchants, besides Newcastle and Bristol, invested in coal mining during the seventeenth century.

Not really much in the book, just a passing reference. Might be more in the documents though.

Mark