Author Topic: Henry Gooch mentioned in "The Governesses: Letters from the Colonies, 1862-1882  (Read 979 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Gooch mentioned in "The Governesses: Letters from the Colonies, 1862-1882
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 November 18 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Just Henry mentioned as passenger on the Orissa to Sydney in January 1836.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/226459734 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Gooch mentioned in "The Governesses: Letters from the Colonies, 1862-1882
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 November 18 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I really meant it was likely that if one member of a family came to Aus, then others might follow not necessarily on the same ship. Mine travelled from Sydney all the way along the Murrumbidgee with cattle and then went to Melbourne to marry so they certainly travelled long distances in  the 1830's if the opportunity was there.
shume
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 November 18 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Agh,  sorry for mis-understanding.  Yes, mine too travelled long distances, some of mine were surveyors under John Oxley and then Sir Thomas Mitchell.   Surveyors walked as did their assistants and the support team.  Some of other ancestors were along the Lachlan and the Macquarie and out in the Darling Back Blocks... Harsh environments for all. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.