Author Topic: Ancestry gone very PC - not allocating sex of marriage partner  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry gone very PC - not allocating sex of marriage partner
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Nobody seems to be having the same problem as me, I wonder why.

I have just tried it again, realised it only happens if I have no details whatsoever about Mary Jones. I then find a marriage of John Smith to Mary Jones and add record.

John Smith is blue and male, Mary Jones is grey and of unknown gender. No choice when attaching the record to assign a gender to Mary.

I have to go into Edit Mary Jones, then assign her a gender.

To my way of thinking, she should be pink and female, I can alter her to male if I wish to.

Regards Margaret

It happens to me as well, when adding a spouse. This has been taking place for a while, although I can't say exactly how long for. It's annoying.
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline Footo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 20:31 GMT (UK) »
I’ve had this happen quite often for the past few months - I’d assumed it was whoever had transcribed the records hadn’t bothered selecting the gender. It’s easily changed with the edit function afterwards but is still somewhat  annoying.  ::)

Barbara
Meehan - Sligo and Manchester
Currell - Princes Risborough and Manchester
Gee - Congleton, Salford and Manchester
Withers - Hornby, Manchester and Salford
Dodd - Congleton, Salford and Manchester

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 12:58 GMT (UK) »
I've actually seen several trees - not mine - where what I assume to be the same sort of lazy keying in that moves people from Boston Lincolnshire to Boston Mass. USA and back, many times, giving entries such as : "John Smith " spouse of "James Jones". Always simply assumed it was careless typing in / hitting on a drop-down menu!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Not sure anything has changed recently.... if you find a marriage for someone in your tree and add it that way then the new person has been grey and genderless for me for a long time. But if you add a spouse (as a new person) then it defaults to the expected gender.

Added to say that i am fed up with ancestry timeout issues at the moment so not looking to defend them 😀
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....