Author Topic: Considering TreeDraw - constructive comments please  (Read 1162 times)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Considering TreeDraw - constructive comments please
« on: Tuesday 20 November 18 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Having read another thread where several of you have praised TreeDraw, I am considering giving it a try.

I have used the charting within Rootsmagic but not totally happy with it, not as Flexible as I would like and takes ages to achieve what I want.  I have used charting in excel and Visio previously (including my old professional life) and my first trees before RM back in 2003 are in excel  :) and I still use it to rough draw a tree if I’m confused 😐

But I am in the process of writing a book and need to put in small sections of tree in each section and I would like it to be as neat and clear as possible.

Would I have to use a gedcom export as I don’t have legacy or K&K?
How flexible is it to personalise?
What is possible, any known restrictions?

Thanks
Jenny

Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Considering TreeDraw - constructive comments please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Have you considered using the snipping tool and taking a snapshot of any particular section of your existing tree chart and then inserting that snip (as a jpeg) into your proposed book? 

So you could take a snip of part of an excel worksheet, or a snip of a tree chart in any software program, and then insert that snip ... :)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

attaching a snip I just made from my google search to find above link.  My snip tool came as a standard accessory in my Windows package years ago, I was given the tip about this fantastic little tool from an RChatter back then.

Add,  I attached that snip to show you the snipping tool icon  :) to look for  :D
JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: Considering TreeDraw - constructive comments please
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you JM for your suggestion.

I am experienced at using snipping tools, photoshop etc.,  but unless the tree chart looks ok/good (to my liking) on the screen then it’s pointless doing a screen shot, I have loads of practice twigs and branches saved in RM charts but I not that happy with them and I have seen better examples online.

I am hoping someone with TreeDraw experience might offer their insight on the program and it’s possibilties.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.