Author Topic: Can you identify this Uniform please  (Read 766 times)

Offline derekive

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can you identify this Uniform please
« on: Tuesday 20 November 18 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, does anyone recognise this uniform or know what era it is from?. Its a family photograph but nobody who is still alive knows who it is, Any help gratefully received.

It has been suggested that it is a Hussar uniform and he does appear to have an undress pillbox cap next to him. The braid on the sleeves looks to be from the Hussars.

many thanks
Derek

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can you identify this Uniform please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Could it be Royal Horse Artillery uniform?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Certainly Royal Horse Artillery. As to date not sure, 1880, 1890. Hussars had longer dolmans (jackets) after Crimean War.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Just came across this post ... funnily enough a cousin of my dad was looking through my great grandmother’s keepsakes including her bible and a photo fell out.  It was taken in India.  My great grandmother was born Daisy Wade the illegitimate daughter of Isabella Wade.  Isabella was born in India but the family returned to the UK in the early 1870’s.  They were listed at the Kingston Barracks in Surrey until later they were in a home.  Daisy was mostly raised by her grandparents Frederick and Harriet Wade... Frederick was with the 60th royal rifles from age 14 as was his father and brother.  Frederick’s sons also enlisted but with different regiment so initially I thought the photo must have been an uncle ... but I too have found out this uniform is Royal Horse Artillery which puts the soldier in about the right age to be Daisy’s father or an uncle but none of her family served with this regiment that I know of ... she was born in 1890 in London as her mother was sent to live with her uncle until the baby was born. 

So we too have the same mystery

Blessings
Deb

Offline derekive

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb, thanks for your reply. I am busy now, (when I have a moment), going through the family tree to try and find someone who was in the Royal Horse Artillery. Didn't realise quite how many of them were in the army!! I will keep looking. Did you see that someone thought the uniform was from the 1880's or 1890's? It would tie in with Daisy's d.o.b ?

Good luck with your research, hope you find the answer to your mystery.
Derek

Offline derekive

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Would just like to thank everyone for the replies to my post. I will keep searching for a relative who was in the Royal Horse Artillery.

kind regards
Derek

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 December 18 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb, thanks for your reply. I am busy now, (when I have a moment), going through the family tree to try and find someone who was in the Royal Horse Artillery. Didn't realise quite how many of them were in the army!! I will keep looking. Did you see that someone thought the uniform was from the 1880's or 1890's? It would tie in with Daisy's d.o.b ?

Good luck with your research, hope you find the answer to your mystery.
Derek

Thanks Derek will be keen to see what you find.  Daisy always said her father was a soldier in India and as she had quite dark skin we always assumed he may have been from India but my dad and I both did DNA and we don’t have an east Asia gene which even if he was Anglo Indian dad should have some.  Then I noticed she put Francis Wade as her father on her marriage to my G Grandfather Ted Clark so I was a bit horrified at first as he’s her uncle  but he was not in the UK during the time of her conception and birth but was living with her and her grandparents after his wife died.  So perhaps he was a father figure and then I wondered if it was him she described as her father ... then this mysterious photo pops up .... a helpful chap on the Victorian Wars forum told me a little more including that the Royal Horse Artillery were never in the area of India this photo was taken however he said it could have been either a mobile photographer that travelled or the man in the photo may also have travelled to have the photo taken.  What I need to then find is where the unit was in 1889/90 to keep this chap as a possible father.

Good luck with your search I hope you solve your mystery :-)   

Blessings
Deb

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 December 18 08:56 GMT (UK) »
I found this photograph which is pertinent. Note the collar is same as your first pic. but different to the second which was later in time.

http://www.soldiersofthequeen.com/Contributors-BombardierJohnLoweRHA.html.

So, your first pic. may well have been 1870's. Does that make any sense from your Tree.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 December 18 09:44 GMT (UK) »
I found this photograph which is pertinent. Note the collar is same as your first pic. but different to the second which was later in time.

http://www.soldiersofthequeen.com/Contributors-BombardierJohnLoweRHA.html.

So, your first pic. may well have been 1870's. Does that make any sense from your Tree.

Thanks for that I can see the difference in the collars

Blessings
Deb