Author Topic: Occupation as a gentlemen?  (Read 9994 times)

Offline rubymelia

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Occupation as a gentlemen?
« on: Tuesday 20 November 18 16:02 GMT (UK) »
On a marriage certificate, my ancestor's father's profession was named as a "gentleman" does anyone know what this means?

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Occupation as a gentlemen?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Generally speaking  a Gentleman, needed to do no paid work to support himself and did not rely on handouts of any sort from others, he would live off his investments.
 In legal documents used as the designation of a socially respectable person who has no specific occupation or profession.
From the OED  In recent use often employed (esp. in ‘this gentleman’) as a more courteous synonym for ‘man’, without regard to the social rank of the person referred to.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Details on marriage certificates should be taken with a pinch of salt, I have come across numerous examples, in both my own research and that of others,  where the father is termed a Gentleman but in reality was a tradesman or a labourer. It was quite common to exaggerate occupations.

In the same way, someone who was illegitimate sometimes named a fictitious father, or were less than truthful about their age.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 16:35 GMT (UK) »
On a marriage certificate, my ancestor's father's profession was named as a "gentleman" does anyone know what this means?

Have you got him in a census to see what his occupation was?
In the 1881 England Census 6,207 men, head of household, give their occupation as Gentleman.  :)
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rubymelia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 17:36 GMT (UK) »

Have you got him in a census to see what his occupation was?
In the 1881 England Census 6,207 men, head of household, give their occupation as Gentleman.  :)
Stan
I have found numerous occupations for him including labourer, police court porter and fireman! So i'm assuming naming him as a gentleman was maybe a little fib!

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 18:22 GMT (UK) »
When was the wedding? The meaning of "gentleman" altered over time.
A 3xGGF of mine put gentleman as occupation at his wedding in 1830. He had many occupations in a long life. 2 documents in 1823 relating to the birth of an illegitimate child had his occupations as "innkeeper" and "labourer". The inn was his father's and was very successful. By 1830 his father had retired and was styled gentleman in 1832 poll book. The father died 1835. Widow and 2 unmarried daughters had "Independent" as occupation on 1841 census, meaning they had private income.
3xGGF had ceased to be a gentleman by 1841 and was a shopkeeper. By 1851 his wife was keeping shop while he worked at the docks as a "vessel discharger". He was a miller later - milling being one of several businesses his family members had been involved in. His occupation was never the same twice on records. His 4 brothers had businesses and also worked for other people at various times. One brother lost a civil court case and his house had to be sold. Their sisters married men who had small businesses and one married a doctor. The unmarried sister lived in a nice new house and left about £600 when she died in 1853. A legacy went to a nephew who was a priest. He attained high office and rubbed shoulders with some famous people.

3xGGF's grandfathers on both sides were styled "yeoman". His mother was related to minor gentry - men who had "Esquire" after their name and who could afford to buy an army commission and pursue hobbies.
3xGGF's cousin's husband was also a "gentleman" after his wife inherited all her yeoman father's assets, about £1000 in 1822.  His career had been gamekeeper to the lord of the manor.

3xGGF's priest-nephew's maternal great-aunt was listed as "gentlewoman" in a county directory. She was a yeoman-farmer's widow. She was down as farmer or land proprietor on a census.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 18:31 GMT (UK) »

I have found numerous occupations for him including labourer, police court porter and fireman! So i'm assuming naming him as a gentleman was maybe a little fib!

He might have been like my afore-mentioned family. Their investments may have collapsed or they lived above their means. Businesses failed.  In the case of my 3xGGF his private income may have been adequate for himself as a single man but not when he had a wife and children. While he was being a gentleman his brother was operating 2 pubs.
Cowban

Offline Dulaigh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 19:41 GMT (UK) »
"gentleman" was still used in the 1960's to fill the occupation slot in Account Application Form of a prestigious Bank near Green Park in London. ;D ;D.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 November 18 14:48 GMT (UK) »
"gentleman" was still used in the 1960's to fill the occupation slot in Account Application Form of a prestigious Bank near Green Park in London. ;D ;D.

Did the occupation "Prince of the United Kingdom" also feature? That occupation is on birth registrations.

Brothers and a sister of my gentlemanly 4xGGF had a titled godmother, as did one of their cousins  -  same lady for all baptisms.
Cowban