Author Topic: John Potter (1779) black ancestor  (Read 8534 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: John Potter (1779) black ancestor
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Gadget makes important point re his mum. 

Some years ago our local fh group were asked to help find an ancestor who was believed to have non European heritage,  due to photo 'proof'.   We found the photos ,,,, sepia,,,,,  and we found a nee surname .... Blackall.  The enquirer then  searched through an  out building and located the pastoral books and the full names of the employees along with their ships of arrival to the colony of NSW,  Australia.  This was pre DNA kits advertised as a tool for family historu buffs.   I recall that enquirer saying 'Blackall ,  All Black,  slip of tongue ' 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rubymelia

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Toxeth Park

John, Son of Jno Potter, Husbandman and Anne, his wife was born Octor 2nd and baptized October 24th 1779.

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/ToxtethPark

JM

ruby,

It might be worth looking for other children born to this couple.

I did not bother re-reading your other threads relating to John Potter, but I agree with Shaun that if you haven't already done so, you should make a concerted effort to trace the author of that newsletter article to see where he got the information/quote about John being "coloured". The original source, whatever it was, may contain some more information.
Hi I managed to get into contact with the author and he supplied me with an amended version of the Chester Chronicle 1824 detailing a feud between John Potter "a black sailor" and their neighbours the James' about racial language towards their children. However the author said he ha not looked any further down the line and didn't intend on doing so either.

Offline rubymelia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 12:51 GMT (UK) »
My transcription from an image of a baptism in the register of/for Garston, St Michael and uploaded to a commercial family history website...

Toxeth Park

John, Son of Jno Potter, Husbandman and Anne, his wife was born Octor 2nd and baptized October 24th 1779.

So it seems that John's parents were likely to be tenant farmers in 1779 

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/ToxtethPark

nothing to show the baby was born outside of Toxteth Park or its surrounds.... Certainly nothing to show baby was born 'overseas'  :)

JM

Could Ann have been the black/'coloured' person rather than the father?
I thought that perhaps however my mum said that she thinks that both of John's parents probably were black as it would have been extremely rare to have a mixed race couple at that time.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Not sure Jen,  but it is the one associated with a public tree that also links the newsletter referred to in this current and earlier threads.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 13:16 GMT (UK) »

[/quote]
I thought that perhaps however my mum said that she thinks that both of John's parents probably were black as it would have been extremely rare to have a mixed race couple at that time.
[/quote]
 It seems it was not such an unusual occurrence.;
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/pathways/blackhistory/intro/intro.htm

and

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18903391
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Agree with YT - that's why I suggest that it could be the case.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi I managed to get into contact with the author and he supplied me with an amended version of the Chester Chronicle 1824 detailing a feud between John Potter "a black sailor" and their neighbours the James' about racial language towards their children.

I remain very sceptical about this - where is the evidence that this John Potter is your ancestor?  The newsletter article quote is  "a coloured man" not " a black sailor" so is there some other source?

I have been unable to find the Chester Chronicle report you refer to - what is the precise date please?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi I managed to get into contact with the author and he supplied me with an amended version of the Chester Chronicle 1824 detailing a feud between John Potter "a black sailor" and their neighbours the James' about racial language towards their children.

I will be accused of pedantry, but I'll say it anyway: if John Potter was indeed working on the canals in the 1820's, as detailed in the CCHT article, is it likely that he would be referred to as a 'sailor'?

Offline rubymelia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 13:51 GMT (UK) »

I remain very sceptical about this - where is the evidence that this John Potter is your ancestor?  The newsletter article quote is  "a coloured man" not " a black sailor" so is there some other source?

I have been unable to find the Chester Chronicle report you refer to - what is the precise date please?
I have attached the document the author of the original article sent me. I too tried to find the 1824 article but failed. All the dates and names of wife etc all match up to mine and their locations.